PhD and Research Masters

Do you have a spirit for discovery? Is there a topic you’ve always wanted to explore? Delve into a humanities, creative industries, and social sciences specialisations and uncover what lies beneath the human experience.

With a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) you’ll have the opportunity to pursue your passion under the guidance of world-recognised leaders in the field.

Transmission: our transdisciplinary HDR/Doctoral training programme

Transmission is a cutting-edge research network of PhD and Masters students who are exploring the future of the creative industries that sit at the intersection of Arts, Music, Media, Communication, Design, Science, Technology and Engineering.

Designed as a trans-disciplinary doctoral training network, ‘Transmission’ seeks to engage PhD and master’s students wanting to undertake research training as part of FASTlab, where real-world challenges faced by private, public and third sector partners will provide the research training context.

Transmission also presents an opportunity for industry to design research projects that can be worked on by PhD and Master’s students, who are supervised from within the School of Creative Industries in tandem with industry professionals.

Doctoral and Masters students work collaboratively with staff and colleagues doing practice based and traditional research together in their respective groups. All our research groups meet each other monthly at dedicated FASTLab workshops to share their work and hear from visiting researchers, practitioners and industry professionals.

Video: PhD Pathway Stories - Dr Ralph Kenke

How much will it cost?

Australian students are currently exempt from paying tuition fees for MPhil and PhD study. As a domestic student you are awarded a tuition fee scholarship for your higher degree by research (HDR) program under the Australian Government’s Research Training Program (RTP): four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) for a PhD, or two years full-time (or part-time equivalent) for Research Masters. You will be required to complete your degree within the RTP entitlement period.

International student costs

The main type of financial support available to both domestic and international graduate researchers is in the form of scholarships.

Find a scholarship

Who can apply?

Even if you don't have an Honours or Masters degree, you can apply to undertake a Research Masters, and, depending on progress, transfer to a PhD after your first full-time year of study. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Explore how to write a graduate research proposal, and talk to a supervisor to find out more.

Applicants whose first language is not English must meet the University's English proficiency requirements.

Learn more about eligibility

What support does the School provide?

Our HDR advantage package means that you will have access to the information and support you need during your MPhil or PhD journey. This includes:

  • a detailed induction process to help make the transition to postgraduate research easier
  • a rich program of workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance your research. skills, enable you to connect with other students, and provide timely support at key moments of your candidature
  • awards and prizes celebrating graduate research achievements and contributions to our research culture
  • access to resources tailored to our diverse graduate research cohort

Find a PhD or Research Masters supervisor

Learn more about our PhD or Research Masters opportunities in our multidisciplinary clusters.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.