PhD and Research Masters
Transmission is our transdisciplinary HDR/Doctoral training programme
Transmission is a cutting-edge research network of PhD and Masters students who are exploring the future of the creative industries that sit at the intersection of Arts, Music, Media, Communication, Design, Science, Technology and Engineering.
Designed as a trans-disciplinary doctoral training network, ‘Transmission’ seeks to engage PhD and master’s students wanting to undertake research training as part of FASTlab, where real-world challenges faced by private, public and third sector partners will provide the research training context.
Transmission also presents an opportunity for industry to design research projects that can be worked on by PhD and Master’s students, who are supervised from within the School of Creative Industries in tandem with industry professionals.
Doctoral and Masters students work collaboratively with staff and colleagues doing practice based and traditional research together in their respective groups. All our research groups meet each other monthly at dedicated FASTLab workshops to share their work and hear from visiting researchers, practitioners and industry professionals.
Who can apply?
Even if you don't have an Honours or Masters degree, you can apply to undertake a Research Masters, and, depending on progress, transfer to a PhD after your first full-time year of study. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Explore how to write a graduate research proposal, and talk to a supervisor to find out more. Applicants whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate meeting the University's English proficiency policy.
See our eligibility section for more information.
How much will it cost?
There are no tuition fees, no HECS debt – postgraduate research degrees are free. Australian students are currently exempt from paying tuition fees for PhD and MPhil study.
For international students, see our costs section.
What support does the Faculty provide?
Our Higher Degree Research (HDR) Advantage Package means that you will have access to the information and support you need during your MPhil or PhD journey. This includes:
- A detailed induction process to help make the transition to post graduate research easier.
- A rich program of workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance your research skills, enable you to connect with other students, and provide timely support at key moments of your candidature.
- Awards and prizes celebrating graduate research achievements and contributions to our research culture.
- Access to resources tailored to our diverse graduate research cohort.
- State-of-the-art creative spaces, including fine art studios, photomedia studios, 3D printers, galleries, music labs, production suites for TV and radio, broadcast studios, theatres and music labs.
Find a Researcher
Search for a research supervisor or expert by researcher name, area of expertise or by research centre name.