Welcome to Right to Know Week 2018
The University of Newcastle has proudly supported and celebrated Right to Know Week NSW since 2014. The aim of the week is to reach out to our staff, students and community to improve the understanding of the GIPA Act and to raise awareness of a person’s right to access government information.
This Week is an initiative of the Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) to build transparency and trust in support of open government and agencies.
NSW public agencies, including universities, have an obligation to provide access to government held information and data to the NSW community under the GIPA Act.
Director, Assurance Services, Michelle Jarvie, supports access to information and data, which is critical to participation in decision making.
“We continue to ensure that you are able to access information in an efficient and timely way. We support your right to obtain information about the way the University operates.
“We are proud to support Right to Know Week again in 2018,” Michelle said.
“Our data and information management processes are all underpinned by our commitment to openness, transparency and integrity and we are proud to make information available as and when the need arises,” she said.
The Government Information Public Access (GIPA) Act requires the University to assess, and therefore access, all university records relating to a formal request and apply the public interest test.
In managing a formal request for information, the University Complaints & Information Officer may:
- Request advice from business areas regarding the information.
- Consult formally with individuals
- Make observations on areas for improvement identified by the process and convey these to the relevant university officer.
Further information is available on our website
- Partnership will fund new research into preventing healthcare-associated infections
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap