2016 Christmas closedown
Each year the University closes down for two weeks over Christmas and New Year. The Christmas closedown helps to ensure staff remain healthy and have a good work life balance.
Academic, Teaching and Professional staff will need to submit a leave request for the total period of leave applicable to the time they wish to have off, incorporating the four day ‘Christmas Closedown’ period. To book leave for the closedown period staff should make a single leave booking with a start date of the 21 December, 2016 and an end date of the 3 January, 2017, noting that the system will manage public holidays and concession days.
The four days listed as ‘Christmas Closedown’ need to be covered by a form of leave (eg. annual leave, long service leave, flex leave) and must be booked through HRonline.
Wednesday 21 December to Friday 23 December 2016
Monday 26 December to Tuesday 27 December 2016
Wednesday 28 December to Friday 30 December 2016
University Concession days
Monday 2 January 2017
Tuesday 3 January 2017
Wednesday 4 January 2017
The University does not wish to adversely impact those staff with low leave balances or to prevent important research and operational work from being completed. Your Pro Vice-Chancellor or Head of Division has discretion to approve exemptions from taking leave over the closedown period. Please discuss exemptions with your Supervisor in the first instance, all exemptions to work must be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
All requests to work over the closedown period must be approved prior to the closedown period commencing and will only be approved under the following circumstances:
- Where there is a definitive and pressing need to provide services and undertake specific activities;
- Staff who have insufficient leave balances, these staff should also be given priority for designated skeleton staffing during the Christmas Closedown period where such a need exists.
Staff who do not have sufficient leave balances for the closedown period may choose to apply for leave without pay. The application form for leave without pay is available here.
Academic staff are also reminded that if they are not able to use all their annual leave provision for the 2016 year before 26 January 2017, they may apply in writing no later than 31 January 2017 to defer their remaining balance. The application form is available here.
For more information, visit the Christmas closedown webpage.
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness
- Experts challenge WHO recommendations on saturated fats