Larapinta Challenge Update
You made over 1,000 donations across nine countries to support the Larapinta Trail Challenge 2017 – thank you all!
100% of the $150,612 raised will support Indigenous education and research.
Ready to make an impact
We engaged with key Indigenous leaders, trekkers and University staff, research and scholarship groups; and were guided by the University’s NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016- 2025 in choosing where to diseminate the funds:
- $60,000 for 15 Larapinta Trail Challenge Shaping Futures scholarships over 2018-2020 for Indigenous undergraduate students facing hardship
- $30,000 for postgraduate research scholarships supporting future Indigenous leaders
- $60,612 for University research projects which address key health issues affecting Indigenous communities
Indigenous health in the spotlight
Grants were awarded to two research projects in December 2017:
- Improving foot health outcomes for Aboriginal Australians with diabetes.
- MAMAS EMPOWER HEALTH APP (Mothers, Aunties, Maternal Aboriginal Smokefree - Exercise Mindful Pregnancy)
- Newcastle Sonnets shortlisted for Prime Ministers Awards for Poetry
- Love Magic: A research project and performance of an ancient Greek play
- Humanities researchers discuss open scholarship at a recent forum
- Game-changer lets students decide how they want to learn
- Massacre map and Guardian Australia partnership project wins NSW Premier's History Award