Larapinta Challenge Update
You made over 1,000 donations across nine countries to support the Larapinta Trail Challenge 2017 – thank you all!
100% of the $150,612 raised will support Indigenous education and research.
Ready to make an impact
We engaged with key Indigenous leaders, trekkers and University staff, research and scholarship groups; and were guided by the University’s NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016- 2025 in choosing where to diseminate the funds:
- $60,000 for 15 Larapinta Trail Challenge Shaping Futures scholarships over 2018-2020 for Indigenous undergraduate students facing hardship
- $30,000 for postgraduate research scholarships supporting future Indigenous leaders
- $60,612 for University research projects which address key health issues affecting Indigenous communities
Indigenous health in the spotlight
Grants were awarded to two research projects in December 2017:
- Improving foot health outcomes for Aboriginal Australians with diabetes.
- MAMAS EMPOWER HEALTH APP (Mothers, Aunties, Maternal Aboriginal Smokefree - Exercise Mindful Pregnancy)
- University of Newcastle and TAFE NSW join forces for stronger Hunter and Central Coast post-COVID recovery
- Call for Entries: 2020 Karen Thrift Prize for Poetry and Lyrics
- Criminology expert in police accountability comments on George Floyd case
- ‘Felix’ to transform fertility for millions of couples worldwide
- Major funding boost to explore the health impacts of recent bushfires