Currently overseas


Extending your time on Exchange

If you are currently overseas and you wish to extend your exchange studies, you need to meet the basic criteria:

  • Your overall total time at the overseas institution will not be greater than two semesters
  • You are not graduating in your program during the period of your exchange.

If you fulfil the above, please complete the following steps:

Step 1 – Inform the Student Mobility team - email

Step 2 - Contact your overseas advisor/Study Abroad office for permission to extend your exchange, important deadlines, visa requirements and Overseas Health Cover.

The overseas advisor may ask for an official letter or a new nomination from the Student Mobility Team. If you require an official letter, download and send the Exchange Confirmation Letter to This letter will be signed and stamped and returned to your student email.

Step 3 – Negotiate Credit . Credit relates to your academic goals, therefore all enquiries should be directed to your Program Advisor or overseas advisor.

Step 4 – Request enrolment in Special Exchange Codes

Step 5 – Request additional OS-HELP loan

Step 6 - Purchase additional Travel / Health Insurance

Note: The University's Travel Insurance covers enrolled students going overseas on University business for up to 180 days only. The University travel insurance does not extend to any personal travel.

Support while you are overseas

If you need any assistance with health, counselling and wellbeing while studying overseas, we recommend you contact the host university in the first instance. You also have access to this support from the University of Newcastle while overseas.

Application to Enrol in a course after the Census Date

If it is past the Census date and you are not in the correct Special exchange Code, please contact your Program Advisor

If your centrelink payments have been cut off while you are overseas:

  1. Check you have enrolled in the Special Exchange Codes
  2. Provide Centrelink with an Exchange Confirmation Letter and approved credit agreement