Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
Through the collaboration of industry with academia, NIER delivers solutions across four thematic research areas that are of increasing global and regional importance.
Resource Productivity & Efficiency
Solutions to important challenges facing the mining, minerals, gas and water resource sectors.
- Advanced Particle Beneficiation
- Iron Ore Sintering, Cokemaking & Blast Furnace Ironmaking
- Geotechnical Analysis & Materials Characterisation
- Bulk Solids Handling & Transport
Energy Technologies & Utilisation
Driven by economic and environmental challenges with the goal of increasing efficiency and reducing greenhouse gases.
- Low Emission Energy Technologies
- Renewable Energy Systems, Efficiency & Storage
- Fuels, Materials & Energy Utilisation
Advanced Materials for Industrial Innovation
Untapping the potential for next generation low cost sustainable applications.
- Electrochemistry & Materials Engineering
- Advanced Nanomaterials
- Organic Electronics
Land, Water, Social Impacts & Sustainability
Balancing environmental, community and economic activity in resource intensive regions.
- Climate, Soil & Water
- Land Use Management, Environmental Remediation & Social Impacts
- Resources Health & Safety