Research Financial System (RFS)
Research Services, Financial Services and IT Services have successfully collaborated to provide researchers and support staff with a new centralised research financial solution known as RFS. This will create a platform that will support research teams in managing their grants over the full life of the research project.
WHAT IS RFS?
RFS collates information from the Research Services database (RIMS) and the UON finance system (TechnologyOne) into one place so that researchers can view the allocated budgets, expenditure and commitments for all their research projects. The key changes and benefits are:
- Cost Collectors (10.8xxxx) will be replaced by the Grant Number (G1xxxxxx). The Grant Number is assigned by the Research Office at the time of application submission or upon establishment of the grant. The grant number will now be the account number for funded research grants and is used for staff appointments, scholarships, within Fraedom for assigning credit card charges and for TechnologyOne Purchase Orders;
- RFS will show budgets at category level (personnel, travel, consumables etc) which align to the awarded budgets such as ARC, NHMRC budget;
- RFS will show multiyear commitments and details of staff appointments;
- All UON researchers named on a research grant will have access to view the grant in RFS;
- Researchers can give access to a Professional Staff member by listing them on the Grant Establishment Form when establishing the grant.
WHY DO WE NEED RFS?
- Historical audit issues have resulted in UoN needing to improve financial controls to ensure that we are compliant with Funding Body rules.
- Provide a collaborative, user friendly & accurate solution to view for the project life of a Grant the $ Balances available to be expended by:
o Researchers & Head of Schools for decision making,
o Professional staff in administration tasks,
o Faculty Heads to monitor Financial performance and
o Research, Financial & Human Resource Services staff in providing support.
WHEN WILL RFS BE AVAILABLE?
- RFS will be available from 1st January 2017
HOW WILL I USE RFS?
- RFS training & access setup is being scheduled in the coming weeks
- A post training support line will be available to assist with your queries
If you have any queries or concerns please contact the RFS Project Manager Peter Hanlan via email: email@example.com or call 02 498 54374 (ext. 54374)