Are you the next Rhodes scholar?
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate awards supporting outstanding all-round students at the University of Oxford, and providing transformative opportunities for exceptional individuals. One candidate is selected for the Rhodes Scholarship for each state each year. The Scholarship benefits include return airfares to London and a yearly stipend.
Established in 1903 under the will of Cecil Rhodes, the Rhodes is the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious international graduate scholarship program in the world. 83 Scholars are selected each year from 14 countries or groupings of countries around the world. Each year, nine Scholarships are available in Australia.
Qualities sought in a Rhodes Scholar
- Leadership; and
- Commitment to service.
- Education: All applicants must have completed (or be due to complete by the December of the application year) either at least four years of undergraduate study (normally a Bachelor's degree with First or Upper Second Class Honours, or a combined degree with First or Upper Second Class results) or an equivalent combination of undergraduate and postgraduate study at a degree awarding body in Australia or overseas.
- Citizenship & residency: You must be an Australian citizen and have been resident in Australia for at least five of the last ten years. Candidates with dual citizenship may not apply in more than one of the countries in which they are citizens.
- Age: You must be between 19 and 25 years old by 1 October of the application year. Successful candidates arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not normally be deferred.
- Distinction: The Rhodes Trust and Oxford University require that selection of Rhodes Scholars is made without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, sex and gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction.
- Availability: You must be available for interview in person at the time of selection in the State of Australia where you make your application (usually in October / November) and for the Australia-At-Large interviews held in Canberra (usually in early December). Applicants who cannot attend will not be considered.
If you are interested in applying for the Rhodes Scholarship, please contact Sally Gordon.
Applications close 1 September 2014
- Sally Gordon
- Phone: 4921 6930