Last Thursday night I joined colleagues for the Vinnies' CEO Sleepout and once again found it to be a remarkable and grounding experience.
For a night, my bed was two sheets of cardboard for a mattress, but unlike many who are less fortunate, I had the benefit of a warm sleeping bag and woolly socks (shared with the world on Twitter!). Despite these comforts, a long night in the middle of winter on hard concrete gave me plenty of time to reflect on my own very good fortune.
I would like to thank most sincerely everyone who has thrown their support behind this terrific cause. The University community dug deep and raised more than $7,600 to support the homeless. This year, Vinnies acknowledged UoN's generosity with an award for the most individual donations in Newcastle and we were given a terrific onesie from Best & Less, who sponsor the award, which we donated to the cause. Across the Hunter, our community has given over $77,000.
The Vinnies' donation page remains open for anyone who would like to give to this very worthy cause: http://www.ceosleepout.org.au/ceos/nsw-ceos/caroline-mcmillen-university-of-newcastle
Again, thank you for your support.
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness