Hunter Cancer Research Alliance Seeking Expressions of Interest for a Consumer Advisory Panel
The HCRA is seeking Expressions of Interest from the local community to work with researchers on a consumer engagement level.
Established in 2012, the HCRA provides capacity building, funding and strategic support to cancer research conducted in the Hunter New England (HNE) region. Bringing together over 250 researchers and clinicians from UON, HMRI and HNE Local Health District, the HCRA has identified the need to convene a Consumer Advisory Panel (CAP) consisting of volunteers who can provide advice, guidance and recommendations to HCRA and its members from a consumer’s perspective.
Anyone with personal experience of cancer can volunteer to become a consumer advocate, including cancer survivors, patients with cancer, carers, family members, and members of community organisations that work with those affected by cancer.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Input into the development of HCRA consumer materials
- Involvement on HCRA projects where consumer engagement is necessary and appropriate
- Consultation and input into HCRA member’s research plans and grant applications
- Providing recommendations concerning the formulation of appropriate and effective procedures for ongoing, sustainable consumer engagement
Participants do not need to have prior experience in cancer research to volunteer, as training on consumer involvement in research is provided for all members of the HCRA CAP. The level of participation required will be varied and determined by the volunteers who join the panel.
Those interested in joining CAP can visit their website for further information, and are asked to complete an Expression of Interest form. Alternatively, you can email HCRA@newcastle.edu.au to request more information or phone the HCRA office on 02 4014 4753.
- Hunter Cancer Research Alliance website
- Professor Stephen Ackland's research profile
- Priority Research Centre for Cancer website
- Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) website
- New funding will see University of Newcastle students study across Indo-Pacific region
- Estimating calorie content not clear-cut for all
- Cloud Immersion Day to unlock innovative use of the technology in the higher education sector
- The principles underpinning three decades of teaching
- Renewables switch wins Clever Campus award