Thank you for taking the 2020 Survey!
The Library Client Satisfaction Survey is now closed. Thank you for participating to have your say. Honest feedback allows us to identify areas for improvement and helps us to meet our client needs better.
What did you tell us this time?
We will share the results with you here in the near future.
Congratulations to our grand prize and weekly winners, you will be contacted shortly. Watch for updates on our social media channels.
What is the Library Client Satisfaction Survey?
The Library survey is your chance to tell us what you want from your Library.
The Library has been running the Client Satisfaction Survey since 2000. It is coordinated by Insync, a behavioural research group that has been analysing the performances of Australian University Libraries for many years.
The custom-designed questionnaire investigates student and staff levels of satisfaction with facilities and equipment, service quality and delivery, and the performance of library staff. The survey allows us to benchmark our performance against other Australian and New Zealand university libraries.
The Library survey measures satisfaction with our equipment, facilities, collections and services. Your honest feedback allows us to identify areas or services that need improvement. We run the survey every two years so we can confidently say we are addressing needs and concerns and building a better Library.
The last survey was in August 2021.
What were the results of the 2018 Survey?
The results from the Library’s 2018 Client Satisfaction Survey prove once again that our services, facilities and resources are highly valued by our staff and students.
The results place our Library in the top 25% of libraries surveyed over the last 2 years. Satisfaction with the Library continues to improve with each survey. We are well up in the top quartile when bench-marked against 26 other Australian and New Zealand Libraries.
The results tell us you are most satisfied with the way staff help you and respond to your needs, and that our online resources meet your needs. Areas you said needed improving included more access to computers, laptop facilities and study spaces. There has been a substantial improvement in performance by the Library both in the benchmark and internal context since the previous survey in 2016.
View the summary of results.
How has the Library responded?
The Library has been working hard to maintain the elements of our services and spaces that you love, and improve on things that need work.
Following the May 2018 survey, we reinstated 24-hour access to the Auchmuty Information Common (AIC), collaborated with the IT Innovation team to bring you 3D Virtual Library Tours and added new online tutorials to our suite of instructional tools.
We continue to work even harder to follow up more of your suggestions and to plan for continued improvement.
Since running the last Survey, we have :
- upgraded our Library Search, providing you with more extensive access to our resources
- built a new Auchmuty Micro Studio content creation space for the production of video recordings and podcasts
- refreshed our study spaces, provided more data and power outlets
- opened a brand new MakerSpace in the Ourimbah Library
- extended our Library CHAT service for longer weekday hours and to weekends too
- introduced a new digital Course Readings system, integrated within your Blackboard course sites
- renovated the Auchmuty Learning Lounge to create a contemporary, light-filled 24-hour space
- created a vibrant Outdoor Learning Lawn adjacent to the Auchmuty Library
- increased the number of bookable group rooms, including Zoom Rooms
- improved access to our Book a Librarian service, adding video conferencing options
- revitalized the AIC with additional fixed PCs, sit-stand desks, and an extended café space
- opened brand new Carers and Kids Study Spaces at Auchmuty and Ourimbah Libraries
- introduced a new browser plugin to improve access to resources - Lean Library Access
But wait - there's more ... we also:
- completely refurbished Reading Room 3 at Auchmuty, and welcomed Wollotuka into the space
- created a new consultation bar for technology help and skills consultations in the Auchmuty Library
- Relocated the Curriculum Resource Collection at Callaghan to its new location on Level 3 near the GLAMx Lab
- introduced our Breakfast At The Library programs during the start of each semester to bring students together over a free breakfast
- extended the Winter Warmers program to incorporate other seasonal hospitality initiatives which support student wellness and comfort, such as Night Rations and Spring Sippers (SSAF Funded)
- ran successful meet and greet initiatives such as Fast Friends to help students make connections
And coming soon:
- improved individual study spaces with new furniture, task lighting, and more power outlets for devices
- space refreshments and new furniture at Ourimbah Library
- more vibrant, collaborative spaces for group and peer-to-peer study.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.