What is the Library Client Satisfaction Survey?
The Library survey is your chance to tell us what you want from your Library.
The Library survey gauges satisfaction with our equipment, facilities, collections and services. Your honest feedback allows us to identify areas or services that need improving. We run the survey every two years so we can confidently say we are addressing needs and concerns and building a better Library. The last survey was in August 2016 and our next one is happening in 2018.
What were the results of the last Survey?
The results are in from the Library’s 2016 Client Satisfaction Survey, proving once again that our services, facilities and resources are highly valued by our staff and students. The Library is only 1.1% below the highest score in the survey’s database which contains survey results covering 20 years. The results place our Library in the top 25% of libraries surveyed over the last 2 years.
Satisfaction with the Library continues to improve with each survey. We are well up on the top quartile when bench-marked against 30 other Australian and New Zealand Libraries. The results tell us you are most satisfied with the way staff treat you and respond to your needs, and that our online resources and opening hours meet your needs. Areas you said needed improving included more access to computers and laptop facilities. There has been a substantial improvement in performance by the Library both in the benchmark and internal context since the previous survey in 2014.
View summary of results.
How has the Library responded?
The Library has been working hard to maintain the good things and improve on the gaps and provide students with the things you say you want. Following the August 2016 survey we've opened the amazing new Library in the NeW Space building, renovated the Auchmuty Learning Lounge to create a contemporary, light-filled 24 hour space and implemented FollowMe printing to help reduce waste. We've been working even harder to follow up more of your suggestions and to plan for continued improvement.
In the last two years we've:
- relocated to a new location with a brand new library for our Sydney Campus
- renovated areas of the Library including a major renewal of Huxley
- created a new Course Readings area in the AIC
- increased online resources - now more than 450,000 ebooks and 80,000+ journals
- introduced a new 'survival station' at Huxley with the help of SSAF funding
- created more group and quiet study spaces
- reconfigured Library noise zones
- improved our Library Subject Resource Guides to help you find resources
- upgraded the Ourimbah Library air conditioning system.
But wait - there's more ... we also:
- increased seating and replaced old furniture
- improved wireless access and provided more data and power outlets
- upgraded our Library catalogue (NewCat+) to include automatic journal article search
- introduced the ArticleReach service for improved access to journal articles
- extended our CHAT service for longer weekday hours and to weekends too
- reviewed and reorganised our collections to make things easier to find
- worked with academics to improve access to Course Readings
- extended the Winter Warmers program across six campuses (SSAF funded)
- instigated the Spring Sippers hospitality program (SSAF funded)
- installed new carpet in the libraries
- revitalized spaces for student use
- improved access to our Book-a-Librarian services
- introduced an online face-to-face Librarian service - Library Live
And coming soon:
- an improved digital Course Readings system
- more online tutorials to add to our growing suite of accessible instructional tools
More about the survey
The Library has been running the Client Satisfaction Survey since 2002. It is coordinated by Insync, a behavioural research group that has been analysing the performances of Australian University Libraries for a number of years.
The custom designed questionnaire investigates student and staff levels of satisfaction with facilities and equipment, service quality and delivery, and the performance of library staff. The survey allows us to benchmark our performance against other Australian and New Zealand university libraries.
Reports from previous surveys
- Library survey summary report 2016 (PDF 505KB)
- Library survey full report 2016 (PDF 1.94MB)
- Library survey summary report 2014 (PDF 428KB)
- Library survey full report 2014 (PDF 1943KB)
- Library survey report 2012 (PDF 418KB)
- Library survey report 2010 (PDF 515KB)
- Library survey report 2008 (PDF 100KB)
- Library survey report 2006 (PDF 234KB)