Thank you to everyone who completed the 2018 survey.
Thank you to the more than 3400 people who completed the survey. We appreciate your support and your honest feedback. The survey is now closed but if you still have something you'd like to tell us please let us know via our help and information page where you can contact us directly, chat online or use the feedback form.
What is the Library Client Satisfaction Survey?
The Library survey is your chance to tell us what you want from your Library.
The Library survey gauges satisfaction with our equipment, facilities, collections and services. Your honest feedback allows us to identify areas or services that need improving. We run the survey every two years so we can confidently say we are addressing needs and concerns and building a better Library. The last survey was in May 2018 and our next one will occur in 2020.
What were the results of the Survey?
The results from the Library’s 2018 Client Satisfaction Survey prove once again that our services, facilities and resources are highly valued by our staff and students. The Library is only 0.5% below the highest score in the survey’s database which contains survey results covering more than 20 years. The results place our Library in the top 25% of libraries surveyed over the last 2 years.
Satisfaction with the Library continues to improve with each survey. We are well up in the top quartile when bench-marked against 26 other Australian and New Zealand Libraries. The results tell us you are most satisfied with the way staff help you and respond to your needs, and that our online resources meet your needs. Areas you said needed improving included more access to computers, laptop facilities and study spaces. There has been a substantial improvement in performance by the Library both in the benchmark and internal context since the previous survey in 2016.
View summary of results.
How has the Library responded?
The Library has been working hard to maintain the good things and improve on the gaps to provide students with the things you say you want. Following the May 2018 survey we've reinstated 24 hour access to the Auchmuty Information Common (AIC), collaborated with the IT Innovation team to bring you 3D Virtual Library Tours and added new online tutorials to our suite of instructional tools. We're working even harder to follow up more of your suggestions and to plan for continued improvement.
In the last two years we've:
- introduced a new digital Course Readings system
- renovated the Auchmuty Learning Lounge to create a contemporary, light-filled 24 hour space
- created a vibrant Outdoor Learning Lounge adjacent to the Auchmuty Library
- implemented new Library printing to help reduce waste
- opened an amazing new Library in the NeW Space building
- revitalized areas of the Library including a major renewal of Huxley
- fashioned a new physical Course Readings area in the AIC
- increased online resources - now more than 450,000 ebooks and 80,000+ journals
- introduced a new 'survival station' at Huxley with the help of SSAF funding
- created more group and quiet study spaces
- reconfigured Library noise zones
- updated our NOVA Repository
- enhanced our Library Subject Resource Guides to help you find resources
- upgraded the Ourimbah Library air conditioning system
- increased seating and replaced old furniture
- improved access to eresources through Lean Library Access
But wait - there's more ... we also:
- improved wireless access and provided more data and power outlets
- upgraded our Library catalogue (NewCat+) to include automatic journal article search
- extended our CHAT service for longer weekday hours and to weekends too
- worked with academics to improve access to Course Readings
- extended the Winter Warmers program across six campuses (SSAF funded)
- instigated the Spring Sippers hospitality program (SSAF funded)
- revitalized spaces for student use
- improved access to our Book-a-Librarian services
- introduced an online face-to-face Librarian service - Library Live
- collaborated with SRC to update the Parent room in the Ourimbah Library
- added bean bags to the Library seating options (SAFF funded)
- introduced the Night Rations program (SSAF funded)
And coming soon:
- A fabulous new Makerspace in the Ourimbah Library
- extension of the improved digital Course Readings system
- even more online tutorials to add to our growing suite of accessible instructional tools
More about the survey
The Library has been running the Client Satisfaction Survey since 2002. It is coordinated by Insync, a behavioural research group that has been analysing the performances of Australian University Libraries for a number of years.
The custom designed questionnaire investigates student and staff levels of satisfaction with facilities and equipment, service quality and delivery, and the performance of library staff. The survey allows us to benchmark our performance against other Australian and New Zealand university libraries.
Reports from previous surveys
- Library survey summary report 2018 (PDF 371KB)
- Library survey full report 2018 (PDF 5018KB)
- Library survey summary report 2016 (PDF 505KB)
- Library survey full report 2016 (PDF 1.94MB)
- Library survey summary report 2014 (PDF 428KB)
- Library survey full report 2014 (PDF 1943KB)
- Library survey report 2012 (PDF 418KB)
- Library survey report 2010 (PDF 515KB)
- Library survey report 2008 (PDF 100KB)
- Library survey report 2006 (PDF 234KB)