What is the Library Client Satisfaction Survey?
The Library survey is your chance to tell us what you want from your Library.
The Library survey gauges satisfaction with our equipment, facilities, collections and services. Your honest feedback allows us to identify areas or services that need improving. We run the survey every two years so we can confidently say we are addressing needs and concerns and building a better Library. The last survey was in August 2014 and our next one is happening in August 2016.
What were the results of the last Survey?
Satisfaction with the Library continues to improve with each survey. We are well up on the top quartile when benchmarked against 38 other Australian and New Zealand Libraries. The results tell us you are most satisfied with the way staff treat you and respond to your needs. Areas you said needed improving included more access to computers, printing and scanning and the need for more quiet and group study spaces.
How has the Library responded?
The Library has been working hard to maintain the good things and improve on the gaps and provide students with the things you say you want. Since the August 2014 survey we've introduced faster, greener photocopiers with free scan to USB option. We have also installed service pods in our newly renovated Service Zones to accompany our brand new style of Library Service and we're working on plans to follow up some of your other suggestions.
In the last two years we've:
- relocated to a new location with a brand new library for our Sydney Campus
- renovated areas of the Library including a major renewal of Huxley
- created a new Course Readings area in the AIC
- increased online resources - now more than 450,000 ebooks and 80,000+ journals
- introduced a new 'survival station' at Huxley with the help of SSAF funding
- created more group and quiet study spaces
- reconfigured Library noise zones
- upgraded our Library Guides to help you find resources.
But wait - there's more ... we also:
- increased seating and replaced old furniture
- improved wireless access and provided more data and power outlets
- upgraded our Library catalogue (NewCat+) to include automatic journal article search
- introduced the ArticleReach service for improved access to journal articles
- extended our CHAT service for longer weekday hours and to weekends too
- reviewed and reorganised our collections to make things easier to find
- worked with academics to improve access to Course Readings
- instigated the Winter Warmers hospitality program (SSAF funded)
- installed new carpet in the libraries
- revitalized spaces for student use including Biomed and the Law Library
- improved access to our Book-a-Librarian services.
And coming soon:
- renovation of the Auchmuty Learning Lounge into a contemporary, light-filled space
- amazing new Library in the NewSpaces development.
More about the survey
The Library has been running the Client Satisfaction Survey since 2002. It is coordinated by Insync, a behavioural research group that has been analysing the performances of Australian University Libraries for a number of years.
The custom designed questionnaire investigates student and staff levels of satisfaction with facilities and equipment, service quality and delivery, and the performance of library staff. The survey allows us to benchmark our performance against other Australian and New Zealand university libraries.