English Language Centre
The UON Language Centre has established a reputation for excellence in English language education, nationally and internationally. Each year the Centre successfully trains approximately 800 students from over 30 countries including Asia, Europe, South America, the Middle East and Africa. Participants include overseas students, working holidaymakers, tourists, business people and professionals.
We provide a friendly, supportive and culturally diverse atmosphere as part of the wider University of Newcastle environment. Courses are taught by fully qualified and experienced teachers of English as a Foreign and Second Language at both our Newcastle and Sydney locations. Many of our teachers have taught in a variety of Asian and European countries and understand the challenges and delights of living and studying in a foreign country.
Our staff are led by English Language and Foundation Studies Centre Director, Associate Professor Seamus Fagan, who has a broad experience in EFL and a long term involvement in the governance of English Australia. The Language Centre is a member of the National ELICOS Association, University English Centres Australia (UECA), and English Australia. Our programs are accredited by the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).
The UON Language Centre offers:
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), including academic and general English training
- Study Abroad - English plus degree course study over two semesters
- Short English programs for individuals and groups
- Student Experience programs, including volunteering/work experience opportunities, our International Friendship program and our famous Speed Conversation sessions
The UON Language Centre is the only official IELTS Testing Centre in the Newcastle and Hunter Valley area, offering regular opportunities for candidates to test their English language proficiency. We also offer IELTS Preparation courses for candidates wishing to develop their language skills prior to IELTS testing.
Benefits of studying English at UON:
- Fully-qualified and experienced teaching staff
- Average of 15 students per class
- A culturally diverse environment where you'll study with students from over 30 different countries
- Locations in Newcastle and Sydney campuses with convenient access to the University's student facilities and services
- Quality curriculum with classes designed to equip you with the language skills for your future study, career or personal purposes
- Prepares you for direct entry to University of Newcastle degree programs
- UON offers on- and off-site accommodation including homestays
- Computer laboratories with software for language learning
- Email, wireless and LAN internet access
- University libraries access, including availability of staff members specifically designated to assist overseas students in library research
- Access to the University's Computer Technology Centre which provides free computing lessons to Language Centre students. This centre provides a "Help" desk which is available 12 hours a day
Our Language Centre on the University's main campus in Newcastle is a modern building, conveniently located in the centre of the campus adjacent to the University's library and the student services centre.
The University of Newcastle's Sydney-based Language Centre allows students to balance the benefits of studying English with a high-ranking, long-established institution with easy access to the conveniences of Sydney's CBD and surrounding areas.