English Language Centre
The University of Newcastle Language Centre offers a wide range of programs for institutions wishing to create partnerships with Australian institutions. Our programs incorporate intensive English training, with the opportunity to engage with Australian and other international students, excursions to experience Australian culture, volunteering programs, a highly regarded homestay program and much more.
About the Language Centre
The University of Newcastle Language Centre has been offering English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) since 1989, and has established a reputation for excellence in English language education. We teach ELICOS for academic and general purposes at varying levels of proficiency at our Newcastle and Sydney campuses.
Each year the Centre successfully trains approximately 800 students from over 30 countries including Asia, Europe, South America, the Middle East and Africa. Participants include overseas students, working holidaymakers, tourists, business people and professionals.
We provide a friendly, supportive and culturally diverse atmosphere as part of the wider University of Newcastle environment. Courses are taught by fully qualified and experienced teachers of English as a Foreign and Second Language at both our Newcastle and Sydney locations. Many of our teachers have taught in a variety of Asian and European countries and understand the challenges and delights of living and studying in a foreign country.
Our staff are led by English Language and Foundation Studies Centre Interim Director, Dr Anna Bennett, who has a PhD in Sociology and is also Head Research Engagement and Development (ELFSC) at the University of Newcastle. The Language Centre is a member of the National ELICOS Association, University English Centres Australia (UECA), and English Australia. Our programs are accredited by the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).
The University of Newcastle Language Centre offers:
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), including academic and general English training
- Study Abroad - English plus degree course study over two semesters
- Short English programs for individuals and groups
- Student Experience programs, including volunteering/work experience opportunities, our International Friendship program and our famous Speed Conversation sessions
The University of Newcastle Language Centre is the only official IELTS Testing Centre in the Newcastle and Hunter Valley area, offering regular opportunities for candidates to test their English language proficiency. We also offer IELTS Preparation courses for candidates wishing to develop their language skills prior to IELTS testing.
Benefits of studying English at the University of Newcastle
Experienced and diverse
- We’ve been teaching English for over 30 years. Experienced teachers and small class sizes (15 students on average) means students get personalised attention.
- The University of Newcastle is proud of its international student body. Of the 40,000 students enrolled in the university, over 7,000 originate from over 100 countries outside Australia.
- Locations in Newcastle and Sydney campuses with convenient access to the University's student facilities and services
- Ability to practice your English with Australian students through our free Student Experience Programs
- Quality curriculum with classes designed to equip you with the language skills for your future study, career or personal purpose
- Prepares you for direct entry to University of Newcastle degree programs
- University of Newcastle offers on- and off-site accommodation including homestays
- Computer laboratories with software for language learning
- Email, wireless and LAN internet access
- University libraries access, including availability of staff members specifically designated to assist overseas students in library research
- Access to the University's Computer Technology Centre which provides free computing lessons to Language Centre students. This centre provides a "Help" desk which is available 12 hours a day
Two central locations:
Our Language Centre on the University’s main campus in Newcastle is a modern building, conveniently located in the centre of the campus adjacent to the University’s library and the student services centre.
The beautiful city of Newcastle is known for its spectacular coastline, its contemporary culture and enviable lifestyle and was included among the top 10 cities in the annual publication of Lonely Planet Guide to the Best Places to Travel 2011 (“Best in Travel Guide for 2011”).
The University of Newcastle’s Sydney-based Language Centre allows students to balance the benefits of studying English with a high-ranking, long-established institution with easy access to the conveniences of Sydney’s CBD and surrounding areas.