Adverse Circumstances are issues beyond your control that affect your ability to complete assessments, sit your exam or have a negative impact on your performance.
Acceptable reasons for an Adverse Circumstances application are:
- health grounds
- compassionate grounds
- unavoidable commitments
Adverse Circumstances do not include:
- misreading the Course Outline or examination timetable.
- usual work commitments.
- travel plans.
- being unaware of the assumed knowledge requirements for your course
How to apply
- Check the Adverse Circumstances Affecting Assessment Items Procedure and Adverse Circumstances Affecting Assessment Items Policy to ensure your reasons will be considered valid.
- Complete the online adverse circumstances application in myUON.
- You'll be sent an email for you to confirm if your application has been approved.
Note: For students studying in 2020 and 2021, the University will accept a written statement without the need for a medical certificate or JP signature as supporting documentation.
Joint Medical Program (JMP) students
Adverse circumstances are slightly different for JMP students, so make sure you are familiar with the Program’s policies and procedures before you commence your studies.
Policies and procedures
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.