Our University Values are our guiding principles. This award recognises and celebrates an individual or team who have gone above and beyond to exemplify our Values of equity, excellence, engagement and sustainability.
Team or individual nominees must demonstrate how their behaviour, attitude, actions or contribution meets one or more of the following University Values:
- Equity - Supports and promotes equity and diversity, fostering inclusion within our University and/or enabling access and success in higher education, aligning with one or more of our diversity and inclusion priority areas:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- People of diverse genders or sexual identity
- People with disability, or ongoing medical or mental health conditions
- Gender equality – particularly women in STEMM and women in leadership
- Students from low socio-economic backgrounds
- Excellence - Produces an exceptional achievement or contribution in teaching, research or research supervision, or professional service.
- Engagement - Addresses challenges faced in our regions and/or leverages opportunities to drive outstanding outcomes for our regions, involving collaboration with communities or alumni, and with potential to have application and/or a positive impact beyond our regions.
- Sustainability - Delivers improvement or positive cultural change in relation to our University’s environmental or financial performance.
Nominations should clearly identify which of the University Values their nominations pertains to.
Eligibility and How to Nominate
As a staff member, you can nominate an individual or a team for a University of Newcastle Excellence Award.
Self-nominations are permitted, but nominees are responsible for informing their supervisor about the nomination detail before a nomination is submitted.
All University of Newcastle employees are eligible to be nominated, including professional staff (casual, fixed-term and ongoing) and academic staff (continuing, fixed-term, conjoint and sessional). Staff employed by an agency do not fall within the eligibility requirements.
Depending on the quality of the nominations, one award winner may be selected for each award sub-category. Subject to the quality of the nominations for a category, an award may not be made. Depending on the award category, you may choose to nominate an individual, or a team.
You may choose to tell the person that you are nominating them before submitting your nomination. However, all nominees will be advised of their nomination via email once all submissions are received.
Team nominations would not normally exceed 8 members unless exceptional circumstances apply. You must advise team leaders of the nomination before you submit it to ensure that team composition and contributions are accurately reflected. A team member may be defined as someone who has made a significant contribution. Prize money for team awards will be distributed equally amongst all team members.
A nominee or recipient of a University of Newcastle Excellence Award is only eligible for re-nomination in subsequent years on the basis that there were significant new achievements or developments to be considered.
Any award recipient who is no longer employed by the University at the time of the announcement of the awards will not be entitled to an award prize.
After clicking on the ‘nominate now’ link, you will be taken to an online form, where you will be asked to choose which award and category you would like to submit a nomination for, and following this, the relevant template will appear for download.
You will be prompted to upload a PDF version of the completed template before you submit the nomination.
As part of the online form, you will be asked to input:
- Your full name and email
- The nominee/s name, email, Faculty/Division. For team nominations, details will need to be provided for all team members
- A 75 word succinct overview of the nomination, including
- a description of the contribution, initiative, program, project or activity; and
- how this outstanding and exceptional achievement or success exceeds normal expectations of performance
- Your response to the selection criteria (max 500 words in total).
Please prepare your response to the selection criteria in the relevant nomination template and upload as a PDF named as:
Nominee (or Team Leader for team awards) FirstName LastName_Award Name
e.g. Joe Smith_Teaching Excellence Award
Your 500 word response should include:
- a brief reiteration of the contribution, initiative, program, project or activity; and
- how this significant and outstanding achievement addresses the award-specific criteria listed in the nomination form template
Please note that responses above 500 words will not be considered.