Leadership Excellence Award
Recognises and celebrates an inspirational leader, or group of leaders who role model our leadership behaviours and contribute to our University’s success.
Nominees must demonstrate excellence in leadership against one or more of the behaviours identified in the University of Newcastle Leadership Framework:
- Shaping the future
- Engaging beyond the University
- Working collaboratively
- Striving for excellence
- Driving performance
- Showing courage and respect
Excellence in leadership could be in relation to one or more of the following:
- Their colleagues, team, school, unit, faculty or division
- A project, program, subject, course, etc.
- A committee, working party, community of practice, etc.
Eligibility and How to Nominate
As a staff member, you can nominate an individual or a team for a University of Newcastle Excellence Award.
Self-nominations are permitted, but nominees are responsible for informing their supervisor about the nomination detail before a nomination is submitted.
All University of Newcastle employees are eligible to be nominated, including professional staff (casual, fixed-term and ongoing) and academic staff (continuing, fixed-term, conjoint and sessional). Staff employed by an agency do not fall within the eligibility requirements.
Depending on the quality of the nominations, one award winner may be selected for each award sub-category. Subject to the quality of the nominations for a category, an award may not be made. Depending on the award category, you may choose to nominate an individual, or a team.
Individual nominations (where applicable)
You may choose to tell the person that you are nominating them before submitting your nomination. However, all nominees will be advised of their nomination via email once all submissions are received.
Team nominations (where applicate)
Team nominations would not normally exceed 8 members unless exceptional circumstances apply. You must advise team leaders of the nomination before you submit it to ensure that team composition and contributions are accurately reflected. A team member may be defined as someone who has made a significant contribution. Prize money for team awards will be distributed equally amongst all team members.
A nominee or recipient of a University of Newcastle Excellence Award cannot be the recipient of an individual award in two consecutive years for the same or substantially similar achievement.
Awards ceremony and prizes
All finalists are invited to attend the annual awards ceremony, where the award winners are announced. Award winners receive a certificate of recognition, a trophy and monetary award prize.
Monetary award prizes are $1,000 for individuals and 2,000 for teams (shared equally amongst all team members) which must be collected through salary payment. The exception is the Values Award, which is a $2,500 award prize awarded to an individual or team (shared equally) and must be used for professional development within 12 months of receipt of the award, unless otherwise approved. Relevant taxation and superannuation arrangements apply to one-off salary payments.
Any award recipient who is no longer employed by the University at the time of the announcement of the awards will not be entitled to an award prize.
You will be prompted to upload a Word document version of the completed template before you submit the nomination.
After clicking on the ‘nominate now’ link, you will be taken to an online form, where you will be asked to input:
- Your full name and email
- The nominee/s name, email, College/Division. For team nominations, details will need to be provided for all team members.
- A 75 word succinct overview of the nomination, including
- a description of the contribution, initiative, program, project or activity
- how this outstanding and exceptional achievement or success exceeds normal expectations of performance.
- Your responses to the selection criteria (max 500 words) with the exception of:
- Values Awards max 750 word,
- Teaching Excellence Awards see specific application request available in the nomination form,
- Inspiring Excellence Award see specific application request available in the nomination form.
The nomination response document should be prepared in a word document and uploaded as a Word or PDF file with the following document name: Nominee Full Name (or Team leader name)_Award name
e.g. Joe Smith_Teaching Excellence Award
Your response should include:
- the contribution, initiative, program, project or activity; and
- how this significant and outstanding achievement addresses the award-specific criteria listed in the nomination from template
Nominations for the 2021 Excellence Awards are now closed!
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.