Everything you need to know before making a nomination
The following guidelines will help you complete the Alumni Excellence Awards nomination process. Please refer to our FAQs or contact our Alumni Team if you have any further questions
T: +61 2 4921 6699
- Nominations Open: Friday 28 Feb
- Persuasive statment entries close: Monday 20 April
- Full Nominations close: Monday 25 May
- Achievers Announced: Monday 13 July
- Alumni Excellence Awards Gala: Thursday 17 September
- Nominators provide a brief persuasive statement of no more than 200 words, outlining the achievements, impact and contributions of the nominee via an online form.
- All submissions are reviewed and shortlisted based on their persuasive statement.
- Nominators of shortlisted applications are invited to submit a full nomination form of approximately 1500 – 2500 words. The nominator is welcome to work collaboratively with the nominee if desired.
- A selection panel comprising of alumni and staff determine the recipients for each category.
- Recipients are announced to the general public on Monday 13 July.
Top Writing Tips
Who, why and how
Summarise the key information at the start of your application.
Use personal examples
This is a memorable way to make your nominee stand out.
Plan and categorise
Remember a good piece of writing is 30% planning, 40% writing and 30% editing. You can compartmentalise your thoughts and ideas, and improve readability for the selection panel.
Address the selection criteria
Just like a job application, responses need to be linked to the selection criteria. Ensure you carefully address each criteria, demonstrating the nominees impact and achievements, and providing evidence where possible.
Words like “world-class” or “superstar” are overused and not evidence-based.
Remember your audience
The selection panel is comprised of a senior staff member and alumni, including former Alumni Excellence Award recipients. Panel members are selected based upon their professional experience to ensure each panel has the relevant expertise for each award category.
Terms and Conditions
- Nominations can be made by alumni, a member of the University of Newcastle community or a member of the wider community.
- An individual may nominate themselves.
- Alumni can be nominated for more than one award category.
- Joint nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominees may request to be removed from the nomination process at any stage.
- If additional information is required, the nominator may be contacted.
- The University reserves the right to disclose the identity of the nominator to the nominee.
- Previous award recipients are not eligible for renomination in the same award category however, can be nominated in another category. Recipients of distinguished awards such as the Alumni Medal for Professional Excellence and the Newton-John Alumni Medal are not eligible for renomination.
- Honorary Degree recipients of the University of Newcastle are not eligible for nomination for the Alumni Excellence Awards program, unless they hold a minimum undergraduate Bachelor degree.
- Unsuccessful nominees may re-nominate in subsequent years.
- Nominators and nominees are required to keep the contents of their nominations confidential.
- Nominations will be assessed by a selection panel, consisting of University staff and alumni.
- The decision of the selection panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The University reserves the right to withhold any award or decide not to make an award in any category, at its discretion.
- The number of awards allocated in each category will be at the discretion of the University.
- All shortlisted unsuccessful nominees will be notified of the outcome of their nomination. Nominators will also will be contacted.
- The profiles of finalists and recipients (names, images, biography) may be published in any form of media in any context pertaining to the Awards and to the University of Newcastle.
- No member of the judging panel may be nominated for an award, nor be a nominee’s referee.
- Awards will not be awarded posthumously, unless otherwise determined by the University.
- Up to three recipients will be selected for each award, excluding the distinguished award categories, for which only one recipient will be selected.
- Recipients will be advised in writing and invited to an Awards presentation event with their guests.
- Award recipients will be announced publicly prior to the award presentation, excluding the distinguished award categories which will be embargoed until they are announced at the presentation event.