PhD and Research Masters
There has never been a better time to do a PhD or MPhil
Do you have a topic you've always wanted to explore? Perhaps you want to take your career to the next level? Enrol in a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Education, Humanities and Social Science, or Creative Industries – and pay no tuition fees.
Who can apply?
Even if you don't have an Honours or a Masters degree, you can apply to undertake a Research Masters and, depending on progress, transfer to a PhD after your first year year of full-time study. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate meeting the University's English proficiency policy.
- See our eligibility section for more information.
How much will it cost?
There are currently no tuition fees, and no HECS debt. Postgraduate research degrees are free for Australian applicants who meet entry requirements.
- For international students, see our costs section.
Self-directed study seems like a daunting task. What support does the Faculty provide?
Your MPhil or PhD journey will be enriched through a close relationship with a team of dedicated supervisors. In addition, our RHD Advantage Package means you will have access to the information and support you need.
- A detailed induction process to ensure your transition to postgraduate research is seamless
- Access to a wealth of resources
- An extensive program of workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance your research skills, enable
you to connect with other students, and provide timely support at key moments of your candidature
- Awards and prizes celebrating graduate research achievements and contributions to our research culture.
- Access to state-of-the-art creative spaces, including fine art studios, galleries, theatres and music labs.
Why study at the University of Newcastle?
UON consistently ranks in Australia's top 10 universities, and recently placed in the top 3% of universities in the world, as well as in the Top 100 Most International Universities*. Our Education and Arts subjects also rank amongst the world's top universities based on reputation, teaching and research excellence.
Find a graduate research program
Below you will find information on undertaking a PhD or Masters by Research that is specific to each discipline within our Schools. This includes available supervisors, research methodologies, current graduate research and how to apply.
PhD and MPhil degrees offered by the School of Creative Industries
PhD and MPhil degrees offered by the School of Education
- Comparative and International Education
- Global Education Research and Teaching
- Historical Cultures and History Education
- Inclusive Education and Disability Studies
PhD and MPhil degrees offered by the School of Humanities and Social Science
- Ancient History and Classical Languages
- English and Writing
- Film, Media and Cultural Studies
- History of Violence
- Language and Language Studies (French)
- Language and Language Studies (Japanese)
- Philosophy and Religion
- Social Work
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Speech Pathology