For Funding Commencing in 2014
The Future Fellowships Scheme was created in 2008 to promote research in areas of critical national importance by giving outstanding researchers incentives to conduct their research in Australia. The aim of Future Fellowships is to attract and retain the best and brightest mid-career researchers.
At present many highly qualified mid-career researchers choose to work overseas to further their careers due to lack of opportunities in Australia. The Future Fellowships scheme addresses this problem and will significantly boost Australia's research and innovation capacity in areas of national importance.
For further information, please visit the Future Fellowships page on the ARC website.
The Future Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2014 is now closed.
Please subscribe to the ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
|Internal Notification of Intent to Apply (NOI)||Monday 16 September 2013|
|Eligibility Exemptions Requests due to Research Office||Friday 11 October 2013|
|Full Compliance and Eligibility Review||5:00pm, Wednesday 23 October 2013|
|Final Strategic Statement due to Research Office||5:00pm, Wednesday 23 October 2013|
|Internal Closing Date||5:00pm, Wednesday 6 November 2013|
|ARC closes||5:00pm, Wednesday 20 November 2013|
- Quick Guide – download our Quick Guide to the University's ARC Internal Future Fellowship process (PDF 352 KB)
Eligibility Exemption Requests
The Future Fellowships Funding Rules describe situations in which an Eligibility Exemption Request form should be submitted to the ARC as part of the funding application process. Situations that may require an exemption from the ARC usually relate to eligibility of Future Fellowship candidates.
An Eligibility Exemption Request, including all supporting documentation, must be submitted on the ARC Eligibility Exemption Request Form. This form is available on the ARC website at on the Eligibility Exemption Request page and must be submitted through the Research Office of the intended Administering Organisation via the ARC's Research Management System (RMS) by Friday 11 October 2013.
- Funding Rules (PDF 439 KB)
- Eligibility Exemption Request
- Draft Funding Agreement (not yet released)
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions
- UoN Written Evidence (DOC 33 KB)
- Sample Application Forms
- Request not to assess
- Classification Codes: FOR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
Support Package for Successful Applicants
- An ongoing appointment at the completion of the Fellowship, subject only to a success period of research performance;
- If the Future Fellow is already an ongoing staff member the School/Faculty support of the applicant with the appointment of a lecturer or senior lecturer in their field of study who will also support applicant's research;
- A targeted PhD scholarship
- $15,000 per annum personal research support for the duration of the Fellowship
- Additional School/Faculty/Centre contributions
Notification of Intent to Apply (NOI)
From 2013 the University of Newcastle has introduced an NOI requirement for all major ARC and NHMRC funding rounds to ensure applicants are provided with the best possible support in the development of their application and to maximise the University's success in major competitive rounds.
It is a requirement that all applicants intending to submit an ARC Future Fellowship proposal for funding commencing in 2014 first submit an NOI to the Research Office. NOIs will be provided to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation), the relevant Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellor and Assistant Dean (Research) and the applicant's Head of School to assist with strategic planning around ARC Future Fellowship applications and to facilitate a peer review process and provide support to applicants in the development of their proposal.
NOIs for Future Fellowships must be submitted to the Research Office by 9:00am Monday 16 September 2013.
Applicants who do not submit an NOI by the advertised date will be required to seek formal approval from the Faculty PVC and Assistant Dean (Research), and their Head of School prior to proceeding with an ARC Future Fellowship proposal.
Please note: Organisational cash and in-kind support cannot be assured for applicants who do not submit an NOI by Monday 16 September 2013.
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement.
Please note that final Strategic Statements ready for DVCR&I signature must be submitted by your Faculty contact to the Research Office 4 weeks prior to the ARC deadline. Strategic Statements will be signed and returned to applicants to upload into their applications in RMS prior to the Internal Closing Date.
|Business and Law||
T: (02) 4921 7865
|Education and Arts||
T: (02) 4921 7929
|Engineering and Built Environment||Chanel
T: (02) 4921 2051
T: (02) 4921 5603
|Science and Information Technology||
T: (02) 4921 5243
For further information regarding the ARC Future Fellowships, please contact Elianne Renaud via email or phone on (02) 492 17308.
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
RMS allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
- RMS 2.0 Information – for assistance requesting an RMS user account refer to 2.4 Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
- RMS 2.0 Login
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2015-2016 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2015 (XLS)