For Funding Commencing in 2015
Research Office contact: Shai Pritchard
The Future Fellowships scheme supports research in areas of critical national importance by giving outstanding researchers incentives to conduct their research in Australia. The aim of Future Fellowships is to attract and retain the best and brightest mid-career researchers.
At present many highly qualified mid-career researchers choose to work overseas to further their careers due to lack of opportunities in Australia. The Future Fellowships scheme addresses this problem and will significantly boost Australia's research and innovation capacity in areas of national importance.
Future Fellowships provides four-year fellowships to outstanding Australian mid-career researchers. In addition, the ARC may award the Administering Organisation up to $50 000 of non-salary funding per annum which may be used for personnel, equipment, travel and field research costs directly related to the Future Fellow's research.
Future Fellowships will encourage proposals from researchers working in areas of national priority. Preference will be given to those researchers who can demonstrate a capacity to build collaboration across industry and/or research institutions and/or with other disciplines.
Although international experience is important for Australian researchers, it is also important they have the opportunity to return home to continue their work.
One call for submission of Future Fellowships proposals is made each year.
For further information, please visit the Future Fellowships page on the ARC website.
The Future Fellowships scheme for funding commencing in 2014 is now closed.
Please subscribe to the ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
|Future Fellowships scheme opens||Tuesday 30 June 2015|
|Eligibility Exemptions Requests due to Research Office||10:00am AEST Thursday 9 July 2015|
|Eligibility Exemptions Requests due to ARC||5:00pm AEST Tuesday 14 July 2015|
|Request Not to Assess due to Research Office||10:00am AEST Friday 24 July 2015|
|Request Not to Assess due to ARC||5:00pm AEST Tuesday 28 July 2015|
|Strategic Statement due to Research Office by Faculty||10:00am AEST Tuesday 28 July 2015|
|*Internal Closing Date||*10:00am Tuesday 4 August 2015|
|ARC closes||5:00pm Tuesday 11 August 2015|
- Internal Closing Date requires provision of final, submission-ready proposals, signed ARC/NHMRC Application Coversheet and all associated documentation. As Research Office staff will be conducting critical Eligibility and Compliance Reviews on all proposals received by the Internal Closing Date, we will be unable to provide applicants who do not meet this deadline with further advice or assistance with their application after 4 August 2015. Applicants seeking assistance in completing their application after the Internal Closing Date will be referred directly to the ARC Funding Rules and Instructions to Applicants.
- Schools and Faculties may have their own internal dates for the purpose of peer review/Head of School and Assistant Dean (Research) approval etc. Please contact your School Executive Officer and Faculty Research & Research Training Officer or Faculty Research Development Manager for further information on School/Faculty internal processes.
Please review our ARC/NHMRC Grant Rounds Submission Procedures 2015 for essential information regarding application submission under this scheme.
Eligibility Exemption Requests
The Future Fellowships Funding Rules describe situations in which an Eligibility Exemption Request form should be submitted to the ARC as part of the funding application process. Situations that may require an exemption from the ARC usually relate to eligibility of Future Fellowship candidates.An Eligibility Exemption Request, including all supporting documentation, must be submitted on the ARC Eligibility Exemption Request Form. This form is available on the ARC website at on theEligibility Exemption Request page
and must be submitted through the Research Office of the intended Administering Organisation via the ARC's Research Management System (RMS) by 14 July 2015.Please note the internal deadline for receipt of this form to the Research Office is 10am AEST 9 July 2015.
- Funding Rules (PDF 439 KB)
- Eligibility Exemption Request
- Draft Funding Agreement
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Application Forms
- Request not to assess
- Classification Codes: FOR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- FT15 Quick Guide – Application Process (PDF 141 KB)
- FT15 Quick Guide – Strategic Statement (PDF 177 KB)
- Strategic Statement Template (coming soon)
- ARC/NHMRC Application Coversheet
- Extension to Internal Closing Date request form
- ARC/NHMRC Submission Procedures 2015
- FT15 Eligibility and Compliance Review checklist (coming soon)
Support Package for Successful Applicants
- An ongoing appointment at the completion of the Fellowship, subject to appropriate performance during the Fellowship;
- If the Future Fellow is already an ongoing staff member, contact your School / Faculty /PRC to discuss how the salary, that was previously provided by the Administering Organisation, will be used;
- A targeted PhD scholarship subject to requesting one from the ARC;
- Up to $75,000 justified start-up research funding in the first year of the Fellowship;
- $15,000 per annum personal research support for the duration of the Fellowship;
- Additional School/Faculty/Centre contributions; and
- Priority access to
the UON Researcher Advantage Program which includes:
- high quality ongoing professional educational learning opportunities on topics such as Commercialisation, Strategies for Communicating your Research, Project Management;
- access to numerous research related skill development experiences;
- support and direction in finding an suitable mentor on an as needs basis; and
- multi-disciplinary, innovative and enticing networking opportunities.
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement.
Please note that final Strategic Statements ready for DVCR&I signature must be submitted by your Faculty contact to the Research Office 2 weeks prior to the ARC deadline. Strategic Statements will be signed and returned to applicants to upload into their applications in RMS prior to the Internal Closing Date.
|Business and Law||
T: (02) 4921 7865
|Education and Arts||
T: (02) 4921 7929
|Engineering and Built Environment||Chanel
T: (02) 4921 2051
T: (02) 4921 5603
|Science and Information Technology||Jodi McLean|
T: (02) 4921 7976
For further information regarding the ARC Future Fellowships, please contact Shai Pritchard via email or phone on (02) 4921 7733.
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
RMS allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
- RMS 2.0 Information – for assistance requesting an RMS user account refer to 2.4 Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
- RMS 2.0 Login
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2015-2016 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2015 (XLS)