Although the University of Newcastle Department of Rural Health (UoNDRH) has been involved with student placements since 2002, the Pharmacy Academic program did not commence until 2005, funded by the Department of Health and Ageing and administered by the Pharmacy Guild. In 2012, the UoNDRH was awarded funding under the Rural Pharmacy Liaison Officer Program (Fifth Community Pharmacy Agreement) to support pharmacy students undertaking clinical placements within the New England, North West Slopes and Plains, areas of the Hunter Valley and Manning Rivers regions.
Placement sites include:
- Armidale Rural Referral Hospital.
- Manning Base Hospital.
- Port Macquarie Base Hospital.
- Tamworth Rural Referral Hospital.
- Local community pharmacies within the area.
The UoNDRH offers a range of pharmacy and multidisciplinary educational opportunities to complement the clinical activities students engage in at their various placement locations. Activities include:
- Orientation to the UoNDRH program, localcommunity pharmacies or acute care facilities.
- Tutorials from pharmacy academics and local practitioners on both clinical and professional issues.
- A range of listed topics are available or requests for particular tutorials can be made to meet a specific need.
- Support and mentoring of pharmacy students.
- Pharmacy student participation in interdisciplinary learning days.
- Participation in community project activities.
Phone: +61 2 6773 0100
Phone: +61 2 6767 8462
Phone: +61 2 6515 1906