The University of Newcastle Department of Rural Health (UONDRH) has directly and indirectly supported rural Occupational Therapy (OT) student education initiatives since 2002.
The UONDRH offers a range of OT specific and multidisciplinary educational activities to supplement the clinical learning occurring at each placement site. Activities include:
- Tutorials from the Department of Rural Health OT staff and local practitioners on clinical and professional areas. A range of listed topics are available or requests for particular tutorials can be made to meet a specific need.
- Orientation to the UONDRH, local OT services, local area (including tour) and rural OT practice.
- Opportunities to participate in the Community Engagements Program, a supported program where student's can implemented OT supervised activities with a variety of community groups.
- Peer support and debriefing with other OT students on placement in nearby areas.
The UONDRH program supports OT students to undertake rural practice education placements across the New England and Mid North Coast regions in a wide variety of geographical locations and clinical areas. The UoNDRH gives support to students and their practice educators as well as providing a link to the University of Newcastle.
- Manning Rural Referral Hospital – acute inpatients.
- Taree Aged Care and Rehabilitation Services – community adult service.
- Mayo Private Hospital, Taree – inpatient, outpatient and community adult service for private patients.
- Manning Mental Health – offer a variety of placements including inpatient, rehabilitation, community and youth mental health project.
- Taree Transitional Aged Care service – post acute community rehabilitation service.
- Wingham Rehabilitation Service – inpatient rehabilitation service.
- Port Macquarie Base Hospital – offer a wide variety of placements including acute patients,outpatients and community OT services for paediatric, adult and mental health clients.
- Kempsey District Hospital
- Port Macquarie ADHC– community paediatrics.
- Tamworth Rural Referral Hospital - acute inpatients and rehabilitation.
- Tamworth Community Health Service - offer outpatients and community OT services for paediatric and adult.
- Tamworth Mental Health Service - offer a variety of placements including inpatient, rehabilitation, community and youth mental health project.
- Armidale Rural Referral Hospital - acute inpatients and rehabilitation.
- Sole positions in surrounding health services including Quirindi,Glen Innes, Inverell, Gunnedah and Moree- inpatient, outpatient and community service.
- OT Services - private practice.
Ph: (02) 4055 1900
Ph: (02) 6755 3500
Ph: (02) 6755 3500