Aboriginal Housing Office Tertiary Accommodation Grants
DonorNSW Government - Aboriginal Housing Office
The NSW Government - Aboriginal Housing Office is offering Tertiary Accommodation Grants to eligible Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in full time studies with University of Newcastle. This is a new program established within the Strong Family, Strong Communities framework to support eligible tertiary students with grants of $5000, $7,000, or $10,000 to offset the cost of living whilst studying.
The grants will support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students experiencing the impact of housing stress on their ability to study. Applicants must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree study and demonstrate that they are in financial hardship.
Applications for this scholarship are open now.
To apply, please submit the Application Form and supporting documents to email@example.com by Monday 02 December 2019.
Please include your name, student number (if known), and use AHO Grant Application in the subject line.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Be enrolled/enrolling in any year of an enabling, undergraduate, or postgraduate program on campus with University of Newcastle. Students who have accepted an offer to start study with us next year may also apply.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate that you are a social housing tenant or are experiencing housing stress (housing stress is defined as an individual expending more than 40% of weekly income on housing).
- Be able to provide evidence of independent living and proof of income with your application.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A copy of the Application Form (see link above).
- Documents for establishing Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status with UON. Please see list of accepted documents here: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/establishing-status-docs
- Evidence of independent living arrangements which outlines weekly rent payable. This can be a rental/lease agreement/contract, a rental bond notice, a letter from your landlord, or a statutory declaration from a relative or friend.
- Evidence of income to determine housing stress. This can be a payslip, a bank account statement, or documented evidence of centrelink income payments.
A grant valued at $5,000, $7,000 or $10,000 will be awarded for assistance with housing and accommodation.
The number of grants available is indicative only and will depend on the funding allocation in each offer year.
Applications will be evaluated and grant recipients and amounts determined by a selection panel assembled by the Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO). There will be a University of Newcastle representative on the panel.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759