Idemitsu Engineering Scholarship
06 March 2020
DonorIdemitsu Australia Resources
Idemitsu Australia Resources (IAR) has a proud history spanning nearly 40 years, with approximately 900 employees and 1,100 contractors across the Brisbane Head Office, Boggabri Coal Mine, Ensham Coal Mine and Muswellbrook Coal Mine. Along with our parent company, Idemitsu Kosan Co. Ltd., who are based in Tokyo, we are proud to play a proactive role in diversifying Australia’s energy portfolio through mining, retail fuels and renewable initiatives. Our unique fusion of Japanese and Australian culture means working with us is unlike working at any other local mining company.
The aim of this scholarship is to support a student financially while encouraging them to pursue a career in the engineering / resources industry. The successful recipient of the Idemitsu Engineering Scholarship will be offered the opportunity of paid work in semester breaks. It is the intention of the scholarship to build an ongoing relationship with the scholar with a view to them being considered for a career with IAR.
One scholarship will be awarded annually.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of a Bachelor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Honours) or Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) in the Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, UON.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a total benefit of $5,000 over a 1 year tenure provided ongoing eligibility is met for the term of the scholarship.
The scholarship will be paid in two lump sums of $2,500 following the Semester one and Semester two census dates.
Selection is based on assessment of the scholarship application and suitability for the individual scholarship.
Selection will be made by the Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment Selection Committee which will consist of a minimum of three members chosen by the Pro Vice-Chancellor, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment.
Successful recipients will be communicated to by the delegated Scholarships Officer and all applicants notified of an outcome via email. This will usually occur within 6 weeks of the scholarship close date.
For applicants not receiving an offer, this does not mean you have been assessed as ineligible. The number of applications often far exceeds the number of scholarships available so it may mean that other applicants have been assessed as being in greater need of support at this time. Do not let an unsuccessful outcome deter you from applying for other scholarships and reapplying every year you study.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759