Helen Maslen Scholarship
06 March 2020
This scholarship was established by Helen Maslen to support students who are survivors of domestic violence, empowering them to achieve their education ambitions and independence.
Helen grew up in Sydney and married young. In the ensuing twenty years she had five children and was the victim of repeated domestic violence at the hands of her husband. With no support, no finances and five children to care for, Helen had no-where to go in a time when domestic violence was very much swept under the carpet and authorities had no power to intervene.
Helen vowed, should she ever come into money, she would use it to help others who have also been traumatised by domestic violence. Helen hopes that her scholarship will empower survivors by providing opportunity through education – giving domestic violence survivors strength, independence and the ability to achieve their dreams.
The impacts of domestic violence can be felt many years post violence and may affect the survivor’s ability to study. Research data shows that significant recovery can occur when the survivor has access to social, educational or financial support such as this scholarship. Some survivors may describe their experiences as being both negative and positive in terms of the strength and empowerment gained in the survival process. Accessing higher education and support available can contribute to this important positive sense of surviving.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of any enabling or undergraduate program with UON.
- Be enrolled either full-time or part-time.
- Demonstrate sound academic performance either by ATAR required for entry to your program or satisfactory progression through your degree and/or enabling subjects
- Demonstrate that the applicant has accessed higher education as part of a process for surviving domestic violence.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
This scholarship provides a benefit of $5,000, paid as a two lump sums of $2,500 after semester one and two census dates.
Selection will be based on a confidential assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents submitted within the medical condition, long term illness and/or ongoing effects of abuse assessment area.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759