Equity Scholarships Scheme University of Newcastle (ESSUN) Scholarship
15 December 2019
UON has a proud history of supporting motivated and talented students to both gain entry to university and to thrive in their field of study, regardless of their background and individual circumstances.
The ESSUN Equity Scholarship provides assistance to students who are experiencing financial hardship and other personal circumstances impacting study, including:
- Carer responsibilities
- English language difficulty
- Financial hardship
- Long term medical condition/ disability or ongoing effects of abuse
- Regional or remote disadvantage
- Sole parent responsibilities
- Additional attributes such as Indigenous Australian or having Refugee status.
Definitions of types of disadvantage and documents required to demonstrate these are available on the UAC ES web page here.
Applications for 2020 are now open via the University of Newcastle Scholarships portal by clicking Apply on this page OR apply via UAC Equity Scholarships www.uac.edu.au/equity/.
Whether you are a future or current student, enabling or undergraduate, please apply to be considered for semester 1, 2020 scholarship offer rounds on 15 December, 15 January, and 26 February.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of any enabling or undergraduate program with UON.
- Be experiencing financial hardship. This may mean that you receive (or expect to receive) a centrelink means-tested income support payment this year, or that you are able to demonstrate financial hardship on the basis of a comprehensive assessment.
- May be experiencing other types of educational disadvantage as assessed in your UAC Equity Scholarship application.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Not hold a concurrent Indigenous Accommodation or Indigenous Education Scholarship.
- Not have previously received an ongoing equity scholarship for the standard duration of your degree program with UON.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit between $2500 and $4250 for the year depending on your semester of offer, study load, and if you have a compulsory placement during the academic year.
You will receive an initial payment of $500 following acceptance of your scholarship offer and enrolment with UON.
Your study load will be reviewed each semester census date and will take into account any courses undertaken in winter, summer, or trimester terms. You will receive $1500 for semesters in which you study a full time load (30 units or more), or $750 for semesters with a part-time load (20 units or less).
An additional lump sum between $500 and $750 may be approved for students undertaking compulsory placement within the academic year. You would need to apply for this additional amount in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide evidence showing the length and location of your placement. The amount paid will be determined in consultation with Student Support.
Selection is based on the assessment of information provided in the application and in accordance with the number of scholarships and funding available in each academic year. Applications are assessed and ranked against different areas of educational disadvantage, with financial disadvantage being a primary criteria. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet this criteria.
Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application. Successful notices will include a formal offer of the scholarship and instructions on how to accept the scholarship.
If you are unsuccessful, it does not mean that you are not in need; rather, it means that other applicants have been assessed as being in greater need. Your application will stay active for future offer rounds during the current scholarship offer year and you are encouraged to reapply in each year you study.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759