Equity Scholarships Scheme University of Newcastle (ESSUN) Scholarship
The Equity Scholarship Scheme University of Newcastle (ESSUN) assists financially and educationally disadvantaged undergraduate students with the costs of studying.
All applications are managed by Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Whether you are expecting an offer of admission or you are a continuing student, please visit www.uac.edu.au/equity/ and download the current Equity Scholarships Booklet.
Applications for 2018 are currently open at www.uac.edu.au/equity
Your application will stay active through to our last offer rounds in July, with opportunity to receive a scholarship in each round UON participates in. UAC will advise of final outcomes (if unsuccessful) in August 2018.
Applicants for the ESSUN scholarship should also apply for the Shaping Futures Scholarship on this UON website.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be enrolled in any undergraduate program with the University of Newcastle in a Commonwealth Supported Place.
- Demonstrate educational disadvantage/s, including financial hardship, in your application for an Equity Scholarship with UAC.
- Demonstrate ongoing financial hardship, either by being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment or on the basis of a comprehensive assessment and be willing to submit this information to the Scholarships Office each semester.
- Not be the recipient of a centrelink Start-Up Scholarship offered prior to 2016 or a centrelink Relocation Scholarship.
- Not be in receipt of an Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship.
- Not have previously received a Commonwealth Scholarship for the maximum duration of either the scholarship or of a prior degree program.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Please refer to UAC Application requirements.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of a total of $3000 per annum for a full year of full-time study (30 units or more in each semester), payable as two instalments of $1500 after each semester census date.
A pro-rata payment of $750 will apply for part-time enrolment.
Midyear applicants will receive payment in one semester only and must reapply in the next academic year.
Selection is based on the assessment of information provided in the Equity Scholarship application with UAC, and in accordance with the number of scholarships and funding available in each academic year. Applications are assessed and ranked against different areas of educational disadvantage, with financial disadvantage being a primary criteria. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet this criteria.
Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application. Successful notices will include a formal offer of the scholarship and instructions on how to accept the scholarship. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in subsequent Admissions rounds or if their circumstances change.
If you are unsuccessful, it does not mean that you are not in need; rather, it means that other applicants have been assessed as being in greater need. Please contact the Scholarships Adviser to discuss what other options may be available.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759