UON Industry and Employability Awards 2017
Celebrating work-ready excellence of UON students and the contribution of UON staff and industry partners in enhancing graduate employability is the focus of the UON Industry and Employability Awards.
Inspired by the NeW Futures Strategic Plan’s focus on enhancing graduate employability through supporting the development of graduates who make a difference, the UON Industry and Employability Awards are an opportunity to recognise students who have demonstrated outstanding performance in the development of employability skills and our staff and industry partners who provide a broad range of real world work opportunities for UON students.
Hosted by Professor Darrell Evans, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the award ceremony held on Wednesday 15 November in the University Gallery to a vibrant audience, with awards being presented by the Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Caroline McMillen.
The ceremony was a great chance for industry partners, colleagues, students and their families to get together, celebrate and recognise the innovation, creativity and passion of University staff and students, and the important contribution of our external partners.
This year marks the first event celebrating not only the achievements in work integrated learning at the university but also the extra-curricular and co-curricular activities which contribute to the employability of our students. Encapsulating the various ways students can enhance their employability and also the various ways staff and industry deliver these opportunities were reflected in the award categories.
The successful recipients of the awards and Highly Commended for 2017 are:
Student On Campus Employee of the Year Award:
- Masagos Hamzah, Bachelor of Medicine.
- Samson Owaka, Masters of Professional Accounting and Masters of Business Administration.
Work Integrated Learning Student of the Year Award:
- Peter Langton, Bachelor of Arts.
- Highly Commended, Alexander Austin, Bachelor of Business/Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Student Entrepreneur of the Year Award:
- Joss Kesby, Doctor of Philosophy (School of Engineering).
- James Rabbitt,Bachelor of Information Technology.
On Campus Employer of the Year Award:
- UON Student Central - Student Advice and Hubs.
Employer of the Year (Start-up or SME) Award:
- Newcastle Airport Pty. Ltd.
Employer of the Year (Large) Award:
- Regional Development Australia Central Coast, NSW Police, and Central Coast Local Health District.
UON Staff Employability Initiative of the Year Award:
- Tareka Chatfield and Lucas Nickerson, Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Indigenous Education and Research.
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Staff Member of the Year Award:
- Dr. Ann Hardy, Auchmuty Library, Academic Division.
- Highly Commended, Dr. Paul Stolk,Faculty of Business and Law.
- New understanding of sperm offers chance to lift male fertility rates
- It’s Easy as 1, 2, 3 with an ORCID!
- Australian research collaboration to deliver a step change for industry at the coming Western Sydney airport
- Green Steel Contribution wins Industry Award
- 15-year milestone for Professor Victoria Haskins
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.