Nine graduates shine in UON’s golden year
More than 350 people gathered at the University of Newcastle (UON) Great Hall this evening to celebrate the 2015 Alumni Awards, hosted by comedian and UON graduate John Doyle, also known as 'Rampaging Roy Slaven'.
Presented annually by UON's Alumni Advisory Committee, the 2015 Awards considered contributions made by UON graduates over the institutions impressive 50 year history.
UON President of Alumni, Belinda Smith, said all finalists should be congratulated for their achievements.
"Tonight our nine recipients have all excelled in their industry and that includes areas of health, engineering, art and design, business, commerce and philosophy."
"The incredible achievements of all UON graduates across the globe proves that our university is a world-class institution that can lead students on to having diverse, exciting and successful careers in any field," said Mrs Smith.
Now in their 40th year, the Alumni Awards showcase the outstanding quality and diversity of UON graduates under nine award categories:
Most Exceptional Community Service Graduate Award
An Asia-Pacific Games triple gold medallist, Paralympian, ultramarathon competitor, neuroscientist, medical doctor, professional table tennis player and passionate philanthropist, Dr Tan was named UON's most Exceptional Community Service graduate for 2015.
Combining athletic talent with philanthropy, Dr Tan has skydived, water-skied, sailed and scaled a 14-storey building in the name of charity.
Dr Tan is a 2005 Bachelor of Medicine graduate.
Alumni Medal for Professional Excellence
The prestigious Alumni Medal for Professional Excellence was presented to Laureate Professor Kevin Galvin who graduated in 1987 with a Bachelor of Engineering.
One of Australia's most influential engineers, Professor Galvin is the sole inventor of the Reflux Classifier technology and a Professor with the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at UON.
Other graduates honoured include:
- Newton-John Award – Jonathan Biggins
- Alumni Award for International Leadership – Sein-Way Tan
- Alumni Award for National Leadership – Neima Candy
- Alumni Award for Regional Leadership – Stewart Dowrick
- Indigenous Alumni Award – Professor Sandra Eades
- Beryl Nashar Young researcher Award – Dr Natalie Beveridge
- Young Alumni Award – Rhys Courtney
- Niki Hennessy
- Phone: 4985 4980
- Healthy eating options on the table for young Australians
- A message for our University community
- Partnership will fund new research into preventing healthcare-associated infections
- New dual degree targets growing job opportunities in medical technology field
- Call for papers: digital research across the humanities