The PEU manages the teaching professional experience placements that are compulsory for students enrolled in many School of Education programs. These placements play a critical role in ensuring that our graduates have the prerequisite knowledge, skills and dispositions for a successful career in teaching.SONIA Placement system
International placements for Education
Students in the third year of their Education program can apply to undertake their professional experience placement outside of Australia.
We have created an International placement approval process: a visual guide to assist students with the application process.
It is a good idea to start your research and planning at least a year in advance of the professional experience placement, and to consult with your Program Convenor.
You can organise an international professional experience placement in one of two ways:
- You can work with a Partner University to identify an appropriate school for your professional experience placement. School of Education students have successfully organised placements through partner universities such as Dortmund University (Germany) and the University of Arkansas (USA). Applicants should contact UON Global to discuss available options, obtain a current list of Partner Universities and obtain application cut-off dates (cut-off dates may differ for each Partner University).
- You can contact a school independently and organise your professional experience placement. Students have independently organised their placements in schools in diverse locations including Sweden, New Zealand, Vanuatu, United Kingdom, United States of America and China.
To start the process:
- Log onto SONIA online and complete the SoE International Expression of Interest Form, available for self-selection under the SONIA Forms tab.
- Have a minimum Grade Point Average of 4.75.
- Be prepared to attend a pre-approval interview with the Director, Professional Experience Unit.
Students who have permission to undertake professional experience outside of New South Wales will need to meet that state's child protection requirements. Students should contact the Department of Education within the state they are seeking to undertake placement in to confirm mandatory requirements for preservice teacher placements.
Mandatory documentation must be shown to the placement sites supervisor and a copy emailed to the Professional Experience Unit at least eight weeks prior to commencing the professional experience.
When considering an interstate placement, please be aware that interstate school term dates and some independent and Catholic schools school term dates differ to NSW school term dates.