Travel concessions

If you're a full time, on-campus, student, you may be entitled to a travel concession. If you are getting the travel concession for the first time you will need to complete a consent form via myHub, wait 2 business days then apply for your Concession Opal card via Opal. Further details including how to complete the online consent form are available at AskUON.

Note: You can only apply for the Opal card during the study term you are enrolled in; not before or after. You will not be able to apply for an Opal card until your second day of the commencement of your enrolment term.

International students may be eligible for other travel concessions.

For more information about travel concessions see Transport for NSW.

Opal card concessions

Students at the University of Newcastle can now sign up for cheaper and more convenient travel with Opal.

Eligible students will be able to access all the benefits of Opal, including cheaper fares, daily travel caps and weekly travel rewards, providing free travel after eight paid journeys in a week.

How do I apply for a Concession Opal card?

Applying for the Concession Opal card is a two-step process:

  • Step 1. Provide your consent to UON to share your relevant details with Transport for NSW via myHub. Click on the Travel Concession (Opal) Consent link under my Personal Details, read through the terms and conditions and if you agree, select Yes at the bottom and click Save.
  • Step 2. Once you've completed and submitted your online consent, please wait for up to 2 business days* for Transport for NSW to receive your details. You can then apply for your Concession Opal card via Opal. If you require assistance with the online form please contact 13 OPAL(13 67 25).

Your Concession Opal card will be posted to your mailing address within 5-7 business days. Ensure you activate your card when it arrives.

If you experience difficulty with the application process for your Concession Opal card, the error will indicate whether to contact 13 OPAL or the University. Please phone 1300 ASK UON or visit any Student Hub for assistance with your consent or eligibility status.

Please note that Opal Concession cards are only available directly via Opal and cannot be purchased or collected from a retail outlet.

For more information about the Concession Opal Card check out AskUON.

For details on the Opal card visit the Opal website.

* May vary depending on your institution or individual circumstances.

Where can I travel with a Concession Opal card?

With Opal you can travel on all modes of public transport – trains, ferries, buses and light rail – throughout Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra, and Southern Highland. Please refer to Opal network information for a full listing of services on which you can use your Concession Opal card.

Concession paper tickets are no longer being sold or accepted. To take advantage of concession transport fares within the Opal network you will need to order a Concession Opal card.

If you do not have or are not eligible for a Concession Opal card you will need to purchase an adult Opal card or adult single trip ticket.

For travel within the Opal network you will need to show your Student ID card to prove you are entitled to travel on concession fares.

What do I need to prove my concession status when travelling outside the Opal network?

For travel outside of the Opal network you will need to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement card to claim concession fares. You will not be able to use your Opal card; you will need to purchase a paper ticket. Please visit Transport for NSW to find out more.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.