Your graduation package costs S$450* and includes:
- academic dress hire: gown, hood, trencher.
- seating for you and up to two guests at the ceremony.
- tickets for you and up to two guests at the celebration reception.
- one digital photo of your handshake.
- one group photo.
Additional guest tickets may be purchased online prior to the ceremony at a cost of SGP$60 each (subject to availability).
*This includes a S$100 deposit which is refundable upon return of academic dress.
The approved University of Newcastle academic dress includes a gown, and if appropriate, a hood and trencher (cap) or bonnet.
You will need to pay for the hire of your academic dress online through the graduation registration system at the same time you register.
If you wish to purchase all or part of your academic dress contact Academic Dress Hire:
Phone: +61 2 4985 4132
Your graduation package includes tickets for you and up to two guests to both the ceremony and the reception.
Additional tickets may be purchased online prior to the ceremony at a cost of SGP$60 each (subject to availability).
Order of ceremony events
- The Master of Ceremonies will announce the imminent commencement of the ceremony
- The University Fanfare will herald the entry of the Dais Party
- The assembly will rise and remain standing until the conclusion of the National Anthems of Singapore and Australia
- The Chancellor will declare the proceedings open
- The Vice-Chancellor will introduce the Occasional Speaker
- The Occasional Address will be delivered
- The first set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Musical Interlude will be performed
- The second set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Chancellor will invite a nominated graduate to speak on behalf of all graduates
- The proceedings will be declared concluded
- The Dais Party and assembly will rise as the University Fanfare is sounded and the Dais Party process from the stage
- Graduate group photographs will then be taken on the stage
- Graduates and guests are invited to attend the Graduate Reception.
Graduation ceremonies usually last for one and a half to two hours, depending on the number of graduates.
Following the ceremony, you and your guests are invited to the graduation reception.
Lasting approximately 90 minutes, there is live music and finger food, as well as the opportunity to take photographs.
A professional photographer will be present at your ceremony, taking official photographs.
All graduates will have a handshake photograph taken as you receive your testamur, while you can also order a professional portrait be taken of you.
Past graduation ceremonies
The University produces world-class graduates and alumni and we are proud to have records of graduation ceremonies dating back more than six decades.
What’s more, these ceremonies have featured some outstanding guest speakers – including a state premier, a justice of the high court, several globally renowned authors and academics, and even the odd film star – who gave the kind of inspirational speeches that shook the walls.
- Occasional Speakers at Graduation Ceremonies 1970-present (PDF, 682.1 KB)
The University has books of previous graduation ceremonies dating back to 1953 available on the Graduate verification web page.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.