Your graduation package includes:
- academic dress hire: gown, hood and bonnet (if applicable).
- your trencher (black cap) as a memento.
- seating for you and up to three guests* at the ceremony.
- tickets for you and up to three guests* to the reception.
Access to a copy of the photograph of you accepting your testamur from the Chancellor on the Graduation Photography Facebook page (an email will be sent to your preferred email account after your ceremony advising you how to access the photo).
*Due to venue capacity, guest tickets are limited.
The approved University of Newcastle academic dress includes a gown, and if appropriate, a hood and trencher (cap) or bonnet.
You will need to pay for the hire of your academic dress online through the graduation registration system at the same time you register. Academic dress hire terms and conditions (for Australian ceremonies) can also be viewed online before payment has been processed. Contact Academic Dress Hire if you wish to purchase all or part of your academic dress, which will reduce the price of your graduation package.
Academic Dress Hire
Phone: +61 2 4985 4132
Your graduation package includes tickets for you and up to three guests to both the ceremony and the reception.
Please note: due to venue capacity, guest tickets are limited, so additional guest tickets may be limited or not available for all ceremonies.
Parking and accessibility
There are plenty of places to park, although it’s worth noting that Callaghan is termed a Restricted Area, which means you will need a paid parking permit or a daily paid ticket purchased from the ticket machines.
Callaghan is also accessible via a range of public transport options.
Order of ceremony events
- The Master of Ceremonies will announce the imminent commencement of the ceremony
- The University Fanfare will herald the entry of the Dais Party
- The assembly will rise and remain standing until the conclusion of the National Anthem
- The Chancellor will declare the proceedings open
- The Vice-Chancellor will introduce the Occasional Speaker
- The Occasional Address will be delivered
- The first set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Musical Interlude will be performed
- The second set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Chancellor will invite a nominated student from to speak on behalf of the graduates
- The proceedings will be declared concluded
- The Dais Party and assembly will rise as the University Fanfare is sounded and the Dais Party process from the stage.
- The Procession of Graduates will follow the Dais Party out of the hall
- Graduates and guests are invited to attend the Graduate Reception.
Graduation ceremonies usually last for one and a half to two hours, depending on the number of graduates.
Live streaming graduation ceremonies
Family or friends who cannot attend your graduation can still be a part of your big day, with the University live streaming all of our ceremonies on this page.
Simply share the link for this page where the broadcast will commence a few minutes before the scheduled ceremony start time in the embedded video player below.
For start times, check our graduation dates page.
Following the ceremony, you and your guests are invited to the graduation reception.
Lasting approximately 90 minutes, there is live music and finger food, as well as the opportunity to get photographs.
The reception is held in the Brennan and McLarty Rooms in the Shortland Building.
A professional photographer will be present at your ceremony, taking official photographs, as well as social shots.
All graduates will have a handshake photograph taken as you receive your testamur, while you can also order a professional portrait be taken of you.
To pre-order a portrait, including discount pricing, or to order your handshake photograph, head to Graduation Photography’s dedicated University of Newcastle page.
1004 Victoria Road,
West Ryde NSW 2114
+61 2 9804 7777
Memorabilia and framing
At your graduation ceremony, you will have the opportunity to purchase University memorabilia, as well as order a plaque of your testamur or have it framed. If you decide to purchase a plaque or frame your testamur after the ceremony, contact:
Unit 36, 6 Jubilee Avenue,
Warriewood NSW 2102
+61 2 9999 1805
To purchase memorabilia such as cups, glasses, photo frames and apparel, please contact
The Co-op at The University of Newcastle
Callaghan Campus Level 1, Rear Shortland Building,
Callaghan NSW 2308
0455 404 873
Past graduation ceremonies
The University produces world-class graduates and alumni and we are proud to have records of graduation ceremonies dating back more than six decades.
What’s more, these ceremonies have featured some outstanding guest speakers – including a state premier, a justice of the high court, several globally renowned authors and academics, and even the odd film star – who gave the kind of inspirational speeches that shook the walls.
The University has books of previous graduation ceremonies dating back to 1953. For ceremonies from 2010 onward, head to the graduation documents and books page.
Graduation Books from 1953 to 2009 are available on the Living Histories @ UON site.
Live streams of ceremonies dating back to 2017 can be found on the University website.