Find credit transfer and cross-institutional enrolment information for current students.

Credit transfer and cross-institutional enrolment

Credit transfer

Who can apply?

Pathways between UoN degrees

Transferring from one UoN degree to another is a way in which you can gain entry into your degree of choice. Students apply to study a degree with similar courses or major sequences and use this as a pathway into their ideal course.

If you have changed degrees at UoN, you may be eligible to apply for a credit transfer for study already completed in your original degree.

Types of credit

Specified credit is credit granted towards particular or specific components of a qualification or degree of learning.

Unspecified credit is credit granted towards elective components of a qualification or degree of learning.

Articulation arrangements enable students to progress from a completed qualification to another with admission and/or credit in a defined qualification pathway.

Block credit is credit granted towards whole stages or components of a degree of learning leading to a qualification.

Reverse articulation allows UoN students to gain a VET sector qualification while proceeding to your degree completion, or taking a break from University study.

Bachelor of Podiatry

With reverse credit, you can study at UoN while gaining a qualification that lets you work in your industry. Based on the successful completion of your second year of study and holding a current first aid certificate, Podiatry students can be awarded the Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance.

Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science

This degree provides recognition for the skills and knowledge already obtained by students at the end of your second year of study. Students will need to complete gap training in three units of competency from the TAFE qualification which can be completed online.

Once Exercise and Sports Science students have been awarded the Certificate III and Certificate IV in Fitness, you can gain employment as a fitness instructor or fitness trainer in a gym, or as a personal trainer while continuing your university studies.

How to apply

You can apply and track your credit transfer application online through the Credit Application Tracking System Online (CATSO).

Required documents

If your previous study at another institution is one of the University's approved credit arrangements, please provide the following:

  • A certified copy of the official academic transcript

If you are applying for any other types of credit, please provide the following in your application:

  • A certified copy of the official academic transcript (unless studies were completed at UoN). If the transcript is in a previous name, please also provide certified evidence of your  name change.
  • Official program or course outlines, including full course description (detailing content, method of assessment, contact hours, course duration and unit value), and preferably the prescribed texts. All course information must be from official publications or handouts.

Please note that your credit application will not be assessed until you have submitted suitable supporting documentation, as per requirements. You can upload your certified documents and course outlines to your online application when you submit it, or you can lodge your paperwork at one of the Student Hubs and provide your name, student ID, credit application reference number, and your target program.

Credit Transfer Catalogue

You can use our credit transfer catalogue to search for approved credit transfer arrangements which are in place with Australian and International institutions. Please note that new credit assessments are continually being added to our catalogue, so if you cannot find a particular institution, award or qualification, please contact the Enquiry Centre on 02 4921 5000.

Cross-institutional enrolment

How to apply

Current University of Newcastle students who wish to study courses at another institution

If you're currently enrolled at UoN and you want to study a course at another university, you can apply for cross-institutional credit (PDF, 82KB). This is granted to students with a good academic record and can count towards your degree at UoN.

There is a $50 fee per course to apply and it's up to you to ensure that the course is consistent with the rules of your degree.

There are limits to the amount of credit you can receive through cross institutional study. See more information on credit transfers or see the Credit and Articulation Policy.

Students studying at other universities who wish to study at the University of Newcastle

For students at another institution wishing to undertake a course at UoN and count it towards their current program, please complete the following:

1. Download and read the Non-Award and Cross Institutional Application Information Sheet (PDF, 205KB); AND

2. Complete the Online Direct Admission application; AND

3. Download, and organise a Finance Officer from your home institution to complete the Cross-Institutional Study Home Provider Endorsement Form (PDF, 199KB).

If you're an international student, see the International Students Requesting Transfer to Another Institution Procedure.

See cross-institutional information for students currently studying at another university and want to study a course at UoN.