Human Research Ethics Committee
For information on the Constitution and Current membership click on the following link: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/service/committees/human-ethics.html
he HREC operates in accordance with the Australian code, the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research, 2007. It is required to have a minimum membership which includes:
- A Chairperson with suitable experience;
- At least two lay people, one man and one woman, who have no affiliation with the University and are not currently engaged in medical, scientific, legal or academic work;
- At least one person with knowledge of, and current experience in, the professional care, treatment or counselling of people, eg a nurse, doctor, or allied health professional;
- At least one person who performs a pastoral care role in a community, eg an Aboriginal elder or minister of religion;
- At least one lawyer;
In addition, the HREC has members from the University academic staff who have research experience relevant to the areas in the University which are active in human research.
The University is currently seeking expressions of interest from both internal academic staff and members of the community who wish to be considered for future vacancies on the University’s Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).
Positions for internal academic staff
Positions are available for academic staff from the following areas:
- Psychology; and
- Science and IT
It is anticipated that those who nominate for these positions will also agree to be a Research Ethics Advisor (REA) in their Faculty. For further information see REAs - Role and Responsibilities.
Positions for members of the community
Positions are available for:
- Two lay people, one man and one woman, who have no affiliation with the University and are not currently engaged in medical, scientific, legal or academic work;
- A person currently engaged as a professional carer/counsellor (eg, nurse or allied health professional);
- A lawyer*
* The lawyer position may also be filled by someone affiliated with the University, however, it is preferable that they not be engaged to advise the institution.
Members not affiliated with the University are reimbursed travel and other extraneous costs associated with performing their duties as a member. There is otherwise no remuneration.
If you wish to submit an expression of interest please select from the following forms:
Expressions of Interest must be lodged by Wednesday 15 May 2013 and can be submitted via mail, email or fax.
If you would like further information about these roles, please contact:
Ms Ruth Gibbins
Senior Human Research Ethics Officer
Research Integrity Unit
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
T: 02 492 16333
F: 02 492 17164