Hygiene & Toxicology II
|Course code OHSE3630||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
The course is only offered externally in Singapore.
Enhances the knowledge and skills acquired in Hygiene & Toxicology I and relates them to the practice of occupational and environmental hygiene in the field, to the toxicological evaluation of chemicals and to hazardous substances risk assessment.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||By the end of the course students will be able to:|
1. Conduct and report on a dust and noise survey;
2. Discuss the classification of toxicity with reference to international harmonization of labeling of hazardous substances;
3. Discuss the scientific, social and ethical issues in risk assessment;
4. Review scientific data used in setting hygiene standards;
5. Conduct hazardous substances risk assessments.
6. Work effectively as part of a team or group to achieve a shared goal.
|Content||1.Overview of occupational hygiene principles and practice.|
2.Review of methods of surveying of air contaminants and noise.
3.Sampling strategies in environmental and occupational hygiene.
4.Review of analytical techniques in hygiene.
5.Occupational and environmental hygiene field surveys.
6.Classifying toxic substances.
7.Occupational carcinogens: risk assessment.
8.Researching and reviewing occupational exposure standards.
9.Exercises in hazardous substance risk assessment.
|Assumed Knowledge||OHSE2640 Hygiene & Toxicology I|
|Modes of Delivery||External Mode|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
Email Discussion Group
Problem Based Learning
Experience Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 40 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for OHSE3630|