Clinical Professional Practice in Dietetics A
NUDI4245A and NUDI4245B jointly comprise of 10 weeks of professional practice in the clinical acute care setting across the year. Jointly these courses develop students' dietetic practice competencies to entry level standard in accordance with the professional requirements of the Dietitians Association of Australia. This consists of 10 weeks of clinical placements within a dietetic department. There is no face-to-face teaching on campus but workshops and tutorials will be offered. Student attendance is optional but recommended. Materials will be available on the course Blackboard site for those unable to attend due to placement.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Knowledge sufficient to ensure safe practice as per DAA National Competency Standards for Entry-Level Dietitians (NCSELD) as they apply to the clinical/acute care setting.
2. Competence in the collection, organisation and assessment of data relating to the health and nutritional status of individuals and groups as per DAA NCSELD.
3. Competence in the management of nutrition care for individuals as per DAA NCSELD.
4. An organised, professional and ethical approach to work as per DAA NCSELD.
- Application of nutrition and dietetic knowledge in clinical practice.
- Setting personal goals for learning experiences.
- Reflecting on learning experiences.
- Written communication and documentation in the form of nutrition care plans and case studies.
- Individual and group education experience.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the B Nutrition & Dietetics (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of all 3rd year requirements.
Written Assignment: Professional Practice competency Assessment Form *
Proposal / Plan: Nutritional Care Plan(s) *
In Term Test: OSCE *
Written Assignment: Reflection diary
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Proposal / Plan: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- In Term Test: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Students must complete NSW Health Department requirements for students to attend placements in NSW Health facilities.
- Prohibited Employment Declaration - Declaration that student is not a prohibited person in terms of the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998.
- Working with Children and Young Adults Check - A national criminal history check and review of findings of workplace misconduct, required for any child-related work.
Face to Face Off Campus 40 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks
Practicum could occur anytime accross the year.