NUDI4245A and NUDI4245B jointly comprise of 10 weeks of professional practice in the clinical acute care setting across the year. Jointly these courses develop students' dietetic practice competencies to entry level standard in accordance with the professional requirements of the Dietitians Association of Australia. This consists of 10 weeks of clinical placements within a dietetic department. There is a transitioning to practice workshop as well as 1 online session. Student attendance at the workshop is optional but recommended. Materials will be available on the course Blackboard site for those unable to attend due to placement.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
This course is part of a multi-term sequence. Both Part A and Part B must be completed to meet the requirements of the sequence. Part A and Part B must be completed in consecutive terms. Students must complete Part A before completing Part B. Students must complete the sequence within a twelve month period. If students complete Part A but are unable to complete Part B within the timeframe, they must re-enrol in Part A.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Knowledge sufficient to ensure safe practice as per DAA National Competency Standards for Entry-Level Dietitians (NCSELD) as they apply to the clinical/acute care setting.
2. Competence in the collection, organisation and assessment of data relating to the health and nutritional status of individuals and groups as per DAA NCSELD.
3. Competence in the management of nutrition care for individuals as per DAA NCSELD.
4. An organised, professional and ethical approach to work as per DAA NCSELD.
- Application of nutrition and dietetic knowledge in clinical practice.
- Setting personal goals for learning experiences.
- Reflecting on learning experiences.
- Written communication and documentation in the form of nutrition care plans and case studies.
- Individual and group education experience.
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the B Nutrition & Dietetics (Honours) program who have successfully completed all first, second and third year courses in this program.
Portfolio: Professional Practice competency Assessment *
Proposal / Plan: Nutritional Care Plan(s) *
Written Assignment: Reflective Practice *
Professional Task: Professional Practice Competency Assessment *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Written Assignment: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Proposal / Plan: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Portfolio: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 40 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks
Practicum could occur anytime accross the year.
Online 1 hour(s) per Day for 1 Weeks
Online session held in Semester 1.
Face to Face On Campus 3.5 hour(s) per Day for 1 Weeks
Transitioning to Practice Workshop held in January.