Materials Science and Engineering 1
Provides an integrated foundation for understanding the engineering properties of materials and how these properties result from basic chemical bonding and structure.
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Trimester 2 - 2015 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2016 (Singapore)
1. Select materials for engineering devices
2. Understand the possibilities and limitations of materials in engineering situations
3. Provide a foundation for training in the specialisation of Materials Science/Engineering
4. Understand the science from which engineering materials are based.
The course is concerned with the engineering properties of materials and the supporting science.
The following topics are covered:
- Atomic structure and bonding; states of matter, gases (ideal/real, mixtures, hydrocarbon combustion, green house gases, ozone destruction); liquids (aqueous solutions, solubility, acids/bases), solids (crystal structures, phase diagrams, diffusion, mechanical, electrical and corrosion properties).
- Engineering materials (metals/alloys, ceramics, polymers, composites).
- Electroplating and batteries. Coal, petroleum, petrol, soaps and lubricants.
HSC level knowledge of Physics or Chemistry is assumed.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Two tutorials (one hour each) per week for the full term.