This course provides students with an integrated foundation for understanding the engineering properties of materials and how these properties result from basic chemical bonding and structure.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Trimester 2 - 2021 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Select materials for engineering devices.
2. Demonstrate the possibilities and limitations of materials in engineering situations.
3. Understand the link between internal structure, processing and properties of materials for engineering applications.
4. Explain the science from which engineering materials are based.
The course is concerned with the engineering properties of materials and the supporting science.
The following topics are covered:
States of matter (bonding, solids, crystal structures and defects in solids).
Change of state (diffusion, phase transformations and phase diagrams).
Properties of materials (mechanical, thermal, electrical, magnetic and chemical properties).
Engineering materials (metals and alloys, ceramic materials, polymers and composites).
HSC level knowledge of Physics or Chemistry is assumed.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Quiz: Quiz 1
Quiz: Quiz 2
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Two tutorials (one hour each) per week for the full term.