Professional Placement in Exercise and Sports Science
This course allows students to integrate real world skills and experience with theoretical concept and knowledge obtained during their degree program. Students will be offered the opportunity to undertake work-integrated learning. The course involves 100 hours of work experience with a professional in two out of three different sectors of the exercise and sports science industry.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Communicate effectively with clients, peers and the public in a professional manner consistent with the Code of Conduct for Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA);
2. Demonstrate professional behaviour in actions, attitudes and demeanour at all times;
3. Demonstrate completion of work experience in at least two sectors of the Exercise and Sports Science industry totalling 100 hours;
4. Critically evaluate their work experience performance and analyse their own professional strengths and weaknesses.
- 100 hours of work placement in the Exercise and Sports Science industry
- Development of communication skills in a professional environment
- Professional code of conduct and obligations
- Professional development
This course replaces the following course(s): SPOR3040. Students who have successfully completed SPOR3040 are not eligible to enrol in EXSS3040.
Pre-requisite - successful completion EXSS2070 (or SPOR2070)
EXSS3040 has course prerequisites. Students must successfully complete EXSS2070 (or SPOR2070) before they can enrol in EXSS3040. Assumed Knowledge. EXSS1010 or SPOR1010, EXSS2010 or SPOR2010, EXSS2050 or SPOR2050, EXSS2030 or SPOR2030, EXSS3010 or SPOR3010 (or concurrent enrolment in EXSS3010).
Written Assignment: Written assignments
Presentation: Oral presentation
Professional Task: Placement *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Practicum: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must satisfactorily complete 100 hours of approved work placement to pass the course.
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- WHS Requirement - Students must complete a Workplace Safety Induction or Risk Assessment. - In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory lab induction and safety induction (testing equipment usage).
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Face to Face Off Campus 100 hour(s) per Term
Clinical component involves work experience with professionals in two out of three different sectors of the industry.
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks
The Tutorial for 8 hours per week for 2 weeks will be in weeks 12 and 13.