The scope of the exercise and sport science professional environment encompasses a broad range of occupations that differ in their expected knowledge and professional skills. This course allows students to integrate and apply their knowledge and skills obtained during their degree toward a real world practicum experience within exercise and sport science. Students will undertake work-integrated learning to consolidate development of competency in exercise assessment, prescription and delivery across a variety of settings. The course involves a minimum of 100 hours of exercise and sports science industry practicum that is supervised by an appropriate professional in the in line with the Exercise and Sport Science Australia Practicum requirements. By the end of the course, students will demonstrate competency in exercise assessment, prescription and delivery as well as various professional behaviours and tasks.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply Exercise Science knowledge and skills in a work context;
2. Display professional behaviours, including effective verbal and nonverbal communication, in accordance to the ESSA Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical practice;
3. Demonstrate competency in exercise assessment, prescription and delivery at the completion of a minimum of 100 hours of Exercise and Sports Science practicum;
4. Conduct an appropriate risk assessment within an exercise and sports science setting and to use appropriate controls to minimise risks;
5. Critically evaluate how the Exercise and Sport Science practicum experience developed the graduate attributes of an Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES).
- A minimum of 100 hours of practicum in the Exercise and Sports Science industry
- Application of knowledge and skills in a work integrated learning setting
- Effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills in a professional environment
- ESSA Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical Practice
Must have completed EXSS2070 or SPOR2070 to enrol in this course.
This course replaces SPOR3040. Cannot enrol in this course if you have completed SPOR3040.
EXSS1010 or SPOR1010, EXSS2010 or SPOR2010, EXSS2050 or SPOR2050, EXSS2030 or SPOR2030, EXSS3010 or SPOR3010 (or concurrent enrolment in EXSS3010).
Written Assignment: Written assignments
Professional Task: Practicum *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Practicum: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course. - Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 100 hours of approved practicum to pass the course.
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- WHS Requirement - Students must complete a Workplace Safety Induction or Risk Assessment. - In order to participate in this course, students must complete a risk assessment and safety induction
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Face to Face Off Campus 100 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks