Evaluating, Assessing and Developing Clinical Competence
|Course code CLAM6001||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Medicine and Public Health|
This course covers the theory and practice of clinical teaching and assessment and staff appraisal in the workplace. It comprises components of Clinical Teaching on the Run and Workplace Based Assessment methods. Candidate's own continuing professional development strategies will be critically reviewed and clinical competence will be assessed using a variety of assessment tools as part of this course.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Demonstrate the ability to:|
• Plan and undertake a multi-source (360) assessment of their own workplace performance.
• Reflect on the outcome of a 360 assessment to develop and implement a personal professional development program.
• Plan and undertake workplace based assessment using a variety of tools.
• Utilise the 4 Step approach to clinical skills teaching and apply it in the workplace
• Improve teaching in the workplace by recognising opportunities in the clinical setting
• Incorporate principles of teaching and learning into clinical activities.
• Demonstrate competence as a clinical teacher.
• Run group teaching sessions and group learning activities.
• Evaluate learning outcomes
• Plan learning activities covering a clinical term.
• Identify and develop strategies to overcome learning difficulties
|Content||The course is structured around six, 2-week learning modules:|
Module 1: Assessment and Appraisal in the Workplace
Module 2: Clinical Teaching at the Bedside
Module 3: Teaching Clinical Skills
Module 4: Identifying Learning Difficulties
Module 5: Effective Group Teaching
Module 6: Planning Term Learning
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Distance Learning : Paper Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
Experience Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 14 hour(s) per Term for 1 weeks|
Individual Supervision: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Student Projects: for 6 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Experience Based Learning: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for CLAM6001|