Academic Excellence Scholarships Recognising Outstanding Performance in Undergraduate Studies
In 2019, the Vice-Chancellor announced new undergraduate scholarships for high performing students progressing within their degrees from Semester 1, 2020. These Scholarships will be awarded via the five academic Faculties. The scholarships will be available to students progressing from year 1 to year 2, from year 2 to year 3, and from year 3 to year 4 (in four-year degree programs). They will be awarded to domestic and international students on the basis of academic excellence and will be worth $10,000 each.
These scholarships are distinct from current prizes and awards given their value and the selection criteria. They are also distinct from Faculty medals because they relate to academic performance and progression within degree programs.
The new scholarships recognise outstanding academic performance and provide students with the support they require to continue in their degrees and to identify with their degree programs as successful degree ambassadors, and as future graduates and alumni.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled in at least 40 units each semester.
- Students going into their second year of study must have completed 80 units of full-time study and be continuing into the second year of the same program.
- Students going into the third year of study must have completed 160 units of full-time study and be continuing into the third year of their program.
- Students going into the fourth year of study must have completed 240 units of full-time study and be continuing on in to the fourth year of their program (consideration may be given to end-on Honours).
- Students must have achieved a minimum GPA of Distinction average to be considered for this Scholarship (does not apply to Medicine programs with ungraded pass grades).
- Students must not hold a concurrent scholarship with UON of equal or higher value.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- None Required.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $10,000, paid in two instalments of $5000 after the semester 1 and 2 census dates.
No application is required for this scholarship.
Selection is a competitive process, based on course outcomes and can take into account both cumulative GPA and/or course progress in any given prior year of study.
Selection will be on the basis of final grades after Semester 2 fully graded date. Offers will be made after this time.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759