Indigenous Education Scholarship
15 December 2019
These Commonwealth-funded scholarships aim to support Indigenous students with the costs of University study, particularly for those who face financial disadvantage and who are relocating from a remote or regional area.
Applications for 2020 are now open via the University of Newcastle Scholarships portal by clicking Apply on this page OR apply via UAC Equity Scholarships www.uac.edu.au/equity/.
Whether you are starting an enabling course, commencing your degree, or are a continuing student, please apply to be considered for semester 1, 2020 scholarshipoffer rounds on 15 December, 15 January, and 26 February.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled or enrolling in any year of any Enabling, Undergraduate (Commonwealth Supported Place), or Postgraduate program with University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate financial hardship by either by being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc), or on the basis of a comprehensive assessment.
- Be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, AND identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, AND be accepted as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander by the community in which you live or have lived.
- Must not have previously received the full entitlement of a Commonwealth Indigenous Scholarship awarded prior to 2017 or hold this scholarship concurrently at another institution.
- If accepting the scholarship offer, must not have received - or agrees to repay - a Student Start-up Loan, a Student Start-up Scholarship or a Relocation Scholarship or the Residential Costs option of ABSTUDY from Centrelink.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of a total of $3000 per annum to be paid in two equal instalments of $1500 following the semester 1 and semester 2 census dates.
A pro-rata payment of $750 will apply to semesters in which enrolment is part-time (10 or 20 units).
Selection is based on the information provided in the scholarship application and supporting documentation. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet the scholarship criteria, with priority being given to severe financial hardship and students who are relocating from remote and regional areas.
To check whether your usual home residence is in a regional or remote area (RA2 to RA5), please search your postcode at http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759