Indigenous Accommodation Scholarship
11 February 2021
These Commonwealth-funded scholarships aim to support Indigenous students who are relocating from a remote or regional area to study with University of Newcastle.
Applications are now open for 2021. Apply via the University of Newcastle Scholarships portal by clicking Apply on this page OR apply via UAC Equity Scholarships.
Offers will be made alongside key UAC admissions rounds from November 2020. Your scholarship application will stay active throughout the offer period through to May 2021, so keep an eye on your inbox and your application details up to date.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled or enrolling in any year of any Enabling, Undergraduate (Commonwealth Supported Place), or Postgraduate program with University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate financial hardship by either by being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc), or on the basis of a comprehensive assessment.
- Be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, AND identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, AND be accepted as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander by the community in which you live or have lived.
- Be relocating from a remote, rural, or regional area to study with UON.
- If accepting the scholarship offer, must not have received - or agrees to repay - a Student Start-up Loan, a Student Start-up Scholarship or a Relocation Scholarship or the Residential Costs option of ABSTUDY from Centrelink.
- Must not have previously received the full entitlement of a Commonwealth Indigenous Scholarship awarded prior to 2017 or hold this scholarship concurrently at another institution.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a total of $5500, paid as two instalments of $2750 after the semester one and semester two census dates.
A pro-rata payment of $1375 will apply to semesters in which enrolment is part-time (10 or 20 units).
Midyear applicants will receive payment in semester two only and must reapply for the next academic year.
The advertised number of scholarships is indicative, and may vary according to available funding.
Selection is based on the information provided in the scholarship application and supporting documentation. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet the Scholarship criteria, with priority being given to relocating students with severe financial hardship who are commencing in their first undergraduate degree. Preference may also be given to students relocating from Remote (RA4) and Very Remote (RA5) areas.
To check whether your usual home residence is in a regional or remote area (RA2 to RA5), please search your postcode here: www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759