Hunter Water Corporation Women in Science Honours Scholarship
09 August 2021
DonorHunter Water Corporation
This scholarship was established in 2021. Hunter Water operates across the traditional country of the Awabakal, Birpai, Darkinung, Wonaruah and Worimi peoples. For the last 125 years Hunter Water has provided drinking water, wastewater, recycled water and some stormwater services to a population of almost 600,000 people in homes and businesses across the Lower Hunter. Hunter Water is committed to diversity in the workforce and making a lasting difference across our communities. It is the intention of this scholarship to create a relationship between the successful recipient and Hunter Water.
The successful recipient would be eligible to undertake up to one day per week of non-compulsory unpaid work experience with Hunter Water over the course of their Honours candidature during which they would gain experience in tasks suited to a graduate scientist.
Two scholarships are available at midyear 2021 for students currently in or commencing in the eligible honours program.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the Honours year of any undergraduate science degree in the School of Environmental and Life Sciences.
- Be female.
- Have previously completed ENVS2009 or ENVS3009 or had equivalent experience in Water Science, Catchment and Resource Management.
- Be completing an Honours project relevant to Hunter Water’s area of operations including projects relating to the supply of drinking water, wastewater, recycled water and/or stormwater services in the lower Hunter region NSW.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A personal statement (approx. 1 A4 page) outlining your academic achievements, career aspirations in the relevant area of study, and how this scholarship would assist you.
- The application will include a free text question asking you to outline your interest in associated future opportunities with this donor and/or Industry partner.
This scholarship provides a total benefit of $7,500, paid as a lump sum after the relevant semester census date.
The scholarship also provides the non-compulsory opportunity to gain experience with Hunter Water in tasks suited to a graduate scientist.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents, with reference to the eligibility criteria. Preference will be given to students who have completed a placement with Hunter Water.
Selection will be made by the College of Engineering, Science and Environment Selection Panel which will consist of a minimum of three members chosen by the Pro Vice-Chancellor, College of Engineering, Science and Environment which may include an external donor representative.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.