*Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarship
03 March 2021
From 2021, the Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarship will support postgraduate coursework students, alongside our undergraduate students supported by the Shaping Futures Scholarship, to overcome adversity and educational disadvantage.
These scholarships support students who are academically capable but managing studies alongside educational disadvantages such as:
- Carer responsibilities
- English language difficulty
- Financial hardship
- Long term medical condition/ disability or ongoing effects of abuse
- Regional or remote disadvantage
- Sole parent responsibilities
- Out of home care experience
- Additional attributes such as Indigenous Australian or having Refugee status.
The following named scholarships are included within the Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarship:
- Central Coast Campus Union Postgraduate Shaping Futures Scholarship (2)
- Judy Kennedy Shaping Futures Postgraduate Indigenous Health Scholarship (1)
- Professor Alan Roberts Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarships in Engineering (2).
It is hoped that the Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarships will provide much needed support for students to continue study and reach their future goals.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of a postgraduate coursework degree program with the University of Newcastle where the majority of delivery is on-campus.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 20 units in the term of scholarship award.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be residing in Australia for the duration of your degree.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a total benefit of $4000 to be paid as a lump sum after the relevant census date in the term of award.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents, with reference to the eligibility criteria.
Award of the named Shaping Futures Scholarships may take specific donor wishes in to account.
The Professor Alan Roberts Shaping Futures Postgraduate Scholarships in Engineering are for students enrolled on campus in a minimum of 20 units in the Master of Professional Engineering program.
The Central Coast Campus Union Postgraduate Shaping Future Scholarships are open to students who are either:
- enrolled in a postgraduate coursework degree through a University of Newcastle Central Coast Campus, or
- enrolled in a postgraduate coursework degree at any University of Newcastle campus, having completed a Bachelor degree through a University of Newcastle Central Coast Campus.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.