Malcolm Benaud Smith Construction Management (Building) Scholarship
06 March 2019
DonorMr Allan Charles Smith
This scholarship was established in 2019 by Master Builder Allan Charles Smith, a fourth-generation builder, Life Member of the Master Builders Association of New South Wales, and Foundation Member and Fellow of the Institute of Arbitrators Australia. It is given in fond memory of his father, Malcolm Benaud Smith, to assist students studying full-time for a Bachelor of Construction Management (Building)(Honours) at the University of Newcastle within Australia.
Malcolm Benaud Smith (1893-1964) was a third-generation Master Builder with family roots in the Manning, Hunter and Central Coast regions. He enlisted and served in two world wars. Malcolm was passionate about the building industry and gave encouragement and assistance to young people of his era, helping them to achieve excellence in their profession.
This scholarship is not yet open for application in 2020.
Please check back later in the year or, if you are applying for scholarships, register your interest in this scholarship to receive email notification when it opens.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of a Bachelor of Construction Management (Building)(Honours) undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle within Australia.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your applciation reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $5,000, paid as two lump sums of $2,500 after semester 1 and semester 2 census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759