David Thompson Science Scholarship
06 March 2019
DonorFamily of David Thompson
The scholarship is in memory of David Thompson. David 'Thommo' Thompson retired from the Royal Australian Air Force having reached the rank of Group Captain. He was awarded a Conspicuous Service Cross for outstanding achievement as the first Air Traffic Tactical Operations officer, and subsequently went on to become the first Group Captain Air Traffic Controller to command No 44 Wing at RAAF Williamtown, NSW. Thommo had studied Applied Physics at Geelong College when he left high school, and those studies stood him in good stead for the duration of his life.
The purpose of this scholarship is to support a disadvantaged student commencing in the Bachelor of Science program with the Faculty of Science, University of Newcastle. The scholarship will be ongoing for the 3 year duration of the program, with the option of support for 4th year Honours as well.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be commencing in the Bachelor of Science program with the Faculty of Science, University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of educational disadvantage, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously completed an Australian undergraduate degree program.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (max 2 A4 pages) outlining your experience of educational disadvantage and how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and include your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
This scholarship provides a benefit of $5000, payable following the semester 1 census date.
The scholarship is ongong for up to 3 years of eligible study, with a maximum benefit of $15,000.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents against the criteria.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759