Friends of the University Sport Scholarship
06 March 2019
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle.
This scholarship was established in 1994 to support students with demonstrated sporting ability and potential, and encourage their contribution to the sporting achievements of the university. The purpose of this scholarship is to improve the quality of our sporting teams, raise the university’s profile through sport, and establish a standard of excellence to complement our academic achievements.
Students are able to represent the university in a wide range of sports as members of sporting clubs or at inter-university competitions. Student participation in sport is facilitated by the broad range of sporting facilities which are among the best in the region.
It is the intention of this scholarship that the successful recipient will be active on campus and/or participate in inter-university competitions, representing the university at local, district, and national levels in their chosen sport.
Applicable to sports, excellence, undergraduate, enabling.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree or enabling program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be a member of, and play with a University of Newcastle sporting team or represent the University in an individual or team sport.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Have attained an equivalent sporting standard in the previous 2 years of selection at district representative level in the sport for an Under 17 or older age district team as a minimum.
- Must not be a Professional Sports Person.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement demonstrating/outlining your academic goals, playing and career aspirations, evidence of excellence in sporting performance and how this scholarship would assist you. Any documentary evidence supporting this should be included.
- Evidence of selection in a representative team or participation in a highlight event (can be a web ref or documentary evidence).
- Please note: athletes who have been successful in multiple events at state, national or international events should only attach evidence for their best two performances at each level. Do not include achievements more than two years old.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000, paid in full after the semester one census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
The Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of demonstrated sporting ability, academic merit and commitment to the sporting achievements of the University.
Interview may be required.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759