Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship
04 March 2018
DonorUON, Industry, Community Organisations, & the annual Reconciliation Scholarship Dinner
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Scholarship was established through contributions from the University, industry donors, community organisations and the annual Reconciliation Scholarship Dinner Dance.
Applicable to : Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, Indigenous, ATSI, financial disadvantage
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement demonstrating/outlining how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- A written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality (Common Seal) and a written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member who knows you in the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community.
- Any documents which support the claims in your written statement, such as a reference, proof of volunteering and community activities, articles and publications etc.
- TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and inlcude your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $10,000 per annum payable in lump sum payments of $5,000 each semester after the census date.
The scholarship is ongoing for the remaining length of the program as at time of award, and up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of assessment of the application and supporting documents against the eligibility criteria. An interview may be held if required.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759